Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

tripods and shake reduction

I have often seen it written that when using a tripod you should turn off the shake reduction (K10d). Is this good advice and if so, why???

09-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the reason is that the shake reduction is designed with specific motions in mind, and at much different frequencies than any vibration that may exist on a tripod. as a result the SR can actually introduce blurr that is not there due to the high frequency vibration that may be present on a triopod
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SR, VR, IS, etc all look for vibration to cancel out. The problem is on a tripod, there isn't any (or at least not very much), so these technologies look for something that isn't there.

So they'll introduce vibration and blurriness, as Lowell said.
09-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Lowell and brofkand, but would like to add that its also a function of the tripod. A very light somewhat unstable unit will have vibrations of its own. I ran across this link quite a while ago that addresses this in an offhanded way. They also slowed the shutter speed down inordinately so as to create a situation where stabilization helped. Also, it does not indicate if mirror lockup was used during the test, so the vibration might have been induced by mirror slap.I have a similar light travel tripod and have never ran into a case where I had any blurring, and I do a lot of evening night shooting.

Depending on the body model you have, at least on the K20 and beyond, if you enable the 2 second mirror delay, the camera will automatically disable the SR for you (I never remembered to turn it off when using my K100). This is based on the belief that if your are enabling the 2 second delay, you must already be mounted on a tripod.

09-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I agree with Lowell and brofkand, but would like to add that its also a function of the tripod. A very light somewhat unstable unit will have vibrations of its own. I ran across this link quite a while ago that addresses this in an offhanded way. They also slowed the shutter speed down inordinately so as to create a situation where stabilization helped. Also, it does not indicate if mirror lockup was used during the test, so the vibration might have been induced by mirror slap.I have a similar light travel tripod and have never ran into a case where I had any blurring, and I do a lot of evening night shooting.

Depending on the body model you have, at least on the K20 and beyond, if you enable the 2 second mirror delay, the camera will automatically disable the SR for you (I never remembered to turn it off when using my K100). This is based on the belief that if your are enabling the 2 second delay, you must already be mounted on a tripod.

I disagree totally

ALL TRIPODS WEIGH 30 POUNDS

A 10 pound tripod needs 20 pounds of weight a 20 pound tripod needs 10 pounds of weight and a 30 pound tripod does not need any weight at all to be stable.
09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I disagree totally

ALL TRIPODS WEIGH 30 POUNDS

A 10 pound tripod needs 20 pounds of weight a 20 pound tripod needs 10 pounds of weight and a 30 pound tripod does not need any weight at all to be stable.
So, who came up with that rule of thumb?. It sounds good, never heard it before.
Thanks.
Mike.
09-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I was using a light tripod (backpacking, day trips, etc). I learned to keep the SR on, unless I was using time delay or a remote. Even in a light breeze, the light tripods had a tendancy to shake, especially near its load limit.

Most of my tripod use now is macro work, with a big beefy tripod, using a remote, so SR is not needed. I just focus, give it 5-10 seconds, then push the remotes button to take the picture.
09-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #8

how reliable is the built in body shake reduction of our pentax cam?