Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just bought a pentax k200d and need some help

I just bought a K200d setup from a member on this forum, great guy btw. Anyrate it included a sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens (which is why i really wanted it)

I have found that the images from the sigma are quite soft and i figured out why but dont know how to fix it. I believe this lens is back focusing about two inches. When i focus on an object, take a picture and then move forward about 2" without letting it refocus -- the second shot is MUCH sharper.

I know my pentax K-X had a debug mode that would allow for a micro adjustment and i have not found this on the K200d yet. Any thoughts/ideas?

09-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K200D does not offer an autofocus adjustment. If you got a warrantee transfer with the lens, I'd send the lens to Sigma for repair. If not, send the stuff back for a refund.

If those aren't options you can use the Catch-focus mode. This allows you to manually focus the lens at a set distance, then only have the K200D trigger the shutter when the subject moves into focus.
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think there might be a way to hack in & play with the AF but itīs dodgy. The solution is to send both the lens & the camera to Sigma to have the lens adjusted. If itīs not under warranty you might have to pay, and the shipping to & from might be pricey, as youīll need to pack it well & insure it.

This is why I donīt buy second hand AF lenses without trying them first.
09-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
I got it figured out by doing more searches on these WONDERFUL forums and i still think im going to send the lens into sigma because the manual focus doesnt seem to do ANYTHING at all. which isnt a huge deal if the auto focus works.

I found the debug mode by putting a txt file on the SD card, leaving door open and holding menu down while powering it on. from the debug mode i adjusted the Auto focus -170um and now it seems spot on.

-170 seems EXTREME to me, but im glad im getting this figured out.

09-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you mean the Lens Manual focus does Nothing? Are you saying you turn the focus ring and Nothing happens?

09-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
There is three rings on this lens. Apeture ring, focal length ring and focus ring. turning the focus ring seems to have NO effect.
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Just so I'm getting this correct, you are looking through the viewfinder, turning the focus ring, and Nothing happens. The image does not get sharper or more blurry?

09-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
again, another search solved the manual focus issue. i have to pull or push the ring to switch between Manual and auto focus. yay for searching.

09-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Is This the lens?

24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

I note (or at least I think so) that the focus ring appears to be a pull back to engage AF and push forward to Disengage AF (engaging MF). Notice the AF just below the focus ring in the middle. My FA*200 works the same way.. Did you try that?

09-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
your exactly correct, i just never seen a lens like this so didnt know any better. thanks for the replies.