Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Make photos more 'poppy' without PP?

am using Pentax K-x with Tamron 18-250mm (yaya i know its a cheap lens but have to live with it)..

when compared to the photos from my friend's Canon 550D, K-x output color seems a bit bland.. even if i increase the saturation, somehow the colors tend towards more dark-ish colors rather than striking colors..

so what Custom Settings (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Lanscape, Vibrant) and its settings (Saturation, Hue, Contrast etc) are recommended to make K-x photo colors more poppy.. 1) without buying anything 2) without PP (avoid as much as possible)

10-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if the K-x has this mode, but I like the Reversal Film custom mode, though it tends to use daylight white balance which can be weird when you're indoors with tungsten lighting. Otherwise, try increasing contrast.
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hi Navilik! Tamron 18-250 is not cheap (well, at least compared to Tamron 75-300 ).

As for your problem, does it persist while using "kit lens" or it just appears while using Tamron lens?
10-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by navilink Quote
am using Pentax K-x with Tamron 18-250mm (yaya i know its a cheap lens but have to live with it)..

when compared to the photos from my friend's Canon 550D, K-x output color seems a bit bland.. even if i increase the saturation, somehow the colors tend towards more dark-ish colors rather than striking colors..

so what Custom Settings (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Lanscape, Vibrant) and its settings (Saturation, Hue, Contrast etc) are recommended to make K-x photo colors more poppy.. 1) without buying anything 2) without PP (avoid as much as possible)
The 18-250 has lower contrast than most lenses. I wouid try Bright or Landscape with +1 contrast. No Canon I've ever seen produces beautiful colours like Pentax cameras, although to be honest the K-x jpegs aren't as pretty as previous Pentaxes.

10-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you should post pictures - same scene with both cameras - to show more specifically what you are talking about.
10-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my K-7 for jpgs when I don't care to post process I use vibrant, contrast +2, sharpness +3.
If your pictures are darkish you may want to add +0.5 EV exposure compensation.
10-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you should post pictures - same scene with both cameras - to show more specifically what you are talking about.
Always the right answer. It's probably the gazillionth case of "underexposure" in a scene that needs +Ev.