Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
White Balance on K7

There was a thread about white balance, and it got me thinking. (sometimes dangerous) I'm starting another thread, as I didn't want to hijack that thread. If shooting RAW, does having the white balance set to different selections actually make a difference, or is RAW just RAW, and it's basically nothing until you select in it PP? I always thought that shooting in RAW was kind of native, so setting like that didn't make any difference, but reading that other thread, and what some of the more experienced shooters say, perhaps my thinking has been wrong. (wouldn't be the first time )

10-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
There was a thread about white balance, and it got me thinking. (sometimes dangerous) I'm starting another thread, as I didn't want to hijack that thread. If shooting RAW, does having the white balance set to different selections actually make a difference, or is RAW just RAW, and it's basically nothing until you select in it PP? I always thought that shooting in RAW was kind of native, so setting like that didn't make any difference, but reading that other thread, and what some of the more experienced shooters say, perhaps my thinking has been wrong. (wouldn't be the first time )
The setting you've selected (including the auto-wb result) is stored in the RAW file but not applied. Most RAW converters use this at the default, or at least make it an option.

Since the K-7 has such good automatic white balance generally, more informed than the auto-wb back on your PC, since the camera actually has a dedicated ambient light sensor it can be a time saver to make use of it.
10-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Since the K-7 has such good automatic white balance generally, more informed than the auto-wb back on your PC, since the camera actually has a dedicated ambient light sensor it can be a time saver to make use of it.
Is this a reason to prefer K-7 over K-r?
10-05-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Is this a reason to prefer K-7 over K-r?
Digital cameras in general do not sense Tungsten light very well and so photos taken with it, or in mixed lighting situations often come out looking yellow. It is easily fixable when taken in RAW, but it definitely saves time if your camera gets it right in the first place. I use Adobe's RAW developer and it gives several different options in the white balance menu: as shot, auto, and then several other things. 9 times out of 10, as shot is correct with the K7, where it wasn't with older cameras.

The K7 and K5 both have a special sensor that helps with white balance and I think also helps improve auto focus under tungsten light. I don't own a kx (or obviously a kr), but I can say it is a huge improvement over the K10 and K20, both of which struggled with white balance at times.

This might be one reason to prefer the K7 over the kr, the others would have to do with sealing, two wheels, etc.

10-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This might be one reason to prefer the K7 over the kr, the others would have to do with sealing, two wheels, etc.
Thanks for feedback --> Unfortunately don't know yet what to decide...
10-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The funny thing is that my Kx behaves as well as my K7 under tungsten light, regarding AWB...
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
The funny thing is that my Kx behaves as well as my K7 under tungsten light, regarding AWB...
- Thanks, so I am leaning towards K-x...