Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 Big Problem?

Just noticed while importing photos taken with my K-7 that some of them where overly blue in tint. These included both JPG & DNG formats, which makes me worry since it probably means its not some after effect / tweaks gone awry. I just reset the camera to defaults. Any ideas? I hope I'm not shipping this thing off for repair...

10-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
Just noticed while importing photos taken with my K-7 that some of them where overly blue in tint.
Under what lighting conditions? Shooting indoors under artificial light can produce described result in AWB mode, as well as shooting with wrong white balance set. Could you provide more details or attach/post a picture?
10-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i thought white balance would be the problem too
10-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with Ivan - check the White Balance setting in the first instance.

10-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #5

AWB of K-7 is the best out there, but like any other cameras it only works within a certain range (check manual) and it is not foolproof. Try taking outdoor photos of yellow leaves and you know what I mean. The camera would try to correct the yellow tone of the leaves and you would end up with the blue tint. When you import RAW photo, WB setting is also import and shown on screen. Fortunately, the WB is not locked in as in the case of JPEG so WB can be corrected. My 2 cents.
10-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
Just noticed while importing photos taken with my K-7 that some of them where overly blue in tint. These included both JPG & DNG formats, which makes me worry since it probably means its not some after effect / tweaks gone awry. I just reset the camera to defaults. Any ideas? I hope I'm not shipping this thing off for repair...
As others have said, Check your WB. If you had it set for Tungsten for instance and took photos in daylight, you would have blue tinted photos.

10-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

When I got my K7 I had an issue with the photo editor swapping channels and the photos were really blue. In camera Hao do they look. You can put them back on a card and check
10-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When I got my K7 I had an issue with the photo editor swapping channels and the photos were really blue. In camera Hao do they look. You can put them back on a card and check
If that were the case, All of the photos would have the bluish cast. Of course, I don't know exactly what is meant by "overly blue in tint".

10-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.
I didnt realize AWB would also affect RAW files, so far after resetting the defaults I have not reproduced it (at least not what I can see in camera) - what threw me off was that it was done in the "Green" and "P" modes and the good / blue shots were mixed in a way that wouldn't make sense that I changed something for a shot or two and then back.
When I get a chance, I'll also try to copy the actual files to a different editor like the Pentax utility to see if they "clear" up or hopefully it will show me something I'm missing that I may have done. I rather be embarrassed that I screwed up something than have to send this away for a while.
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Looks like Tungsten was the problem, its shows on the pics with the Pentax utility (quite useful), funny how some shots came out quite nice with it and not others in the same shoot. Any easy way to "undo" / edit that effect out?

Sorry for the noobie panic, dont remember turning this on but I rather it be that... though I think secretly I wanted a reason to trade up to K5. LOL
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Just set the wb correctly on the dngs using any photo editor. The in camera wb setting of a raw (dng) is only used by software to convert to a viewable format. It does not change the actual photo part of the file. I use Lightroom to set every white balance regardless of the in camera setting.
10-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yep, I was able to use the Pentax utility to save the pics... a bit of warning though, upgrade to the latest 4.21 as 4.11 will do some funky things to your Tungsten pics.
10-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In camera Hao do they look. You can put them back on a card and check
Is that possible? I wanted to transfer a photo from one card to another and the camera wouldn't read it.
If it can be done, how do you do it?