Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Macro Focus

I have a K7 with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. To help me get a better focus, I hope to connect my K7's video output to my laptop computer (PC with Window XP) to give me a finer focus when shooting a still photo. Can anyone offer suggestions on how I might do this?

jerryv

10-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I don't think the K7 (or any Pentax) will tether to a computer for what you want to do.
10-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The K7 does not support tethering.
10-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I don't think the K7 (or any Pentax) will tether to a computer for what you want to do.
K20D does, but this doesn't help the OP.

10-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
K20D does, but this doesn't help the OP.
The Pentaxes that support tethering only go so far. What I would like to see in a tethered camera is to have the tether attached to the LiveView so that a real time image is sent to the computer. Unfortunately, none of the Pentax cameras that tether will do this.
I think that if this is what the OP wants, he is getting into high end Nikon country to get that feature.
With luck, the K5 will support this sort of tethering, though I suspect this feature will wait for a future camera.
10-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryv Quote
I have a K7 with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. To help me get a better focus, I hope to connect my K7's video output to my laptop computer (PC with Window XP) to give me a finer focus when shooting a still photo. Can anyone offer suggestions on how I might do this?

jerryv
If all you want is a bigger screen to look at you Might be able to do it if you have an HDMI input on your laptop. I do, but haven't tried it to see if it works. I know I can plug the camera into my HD TV, and see everything that is on the camera's LCD on the Television. There however, is not controlling the camera or downloading from the K7 to the computer. Screen extension only, if it works (again, I've not tried it).

10-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have used the HDMI output in conjunction with my 28" IPS LCD monitor to help with High magnification macro work and it does help somewhat. However, bear in mind that the output over HDMI is subsampled(not using the full sensor) and the final framing will be different - especially if you are using a 16:9 (or in my case 16:10) monitor aspect ratio in comparison to the 3:2 ratio on pentax dslr cameras.
10-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Actually I was talking about an HDMI input on a laptop. My HP has one but apparently (though I didn't investigate very far) it only handles output to a television, projector, etc. Couldn't get it to display the rear K7 screen in the 10 minutes I played with it. There's probably a way but it isn't important enough to me to find out what it is. Just threw the idea out there.

10-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you your suggestions and comments. I see a solution by using my K20D. And, I will look into using the HDMI connection. Thanks.

jerryv
10-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It hasnt been mentioned in the replies so far but with the K-7 using Live View you can press the INFO button and magnify the live image on the 3" LCD up to 10x if using manual focus. You can moved the screen image around with arrow keys.

This is "kind of" what I guess you are after for helping with finer focus.
No laptop or LCD TV/monitor required

I've never tried hooking up to a monitor to see how it compares, I dont have the cable accessory.
10-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
It hasnt been mentioned in the replies so far but with the K-7 using Live View you can press the INFO button and magnify the live image on the 3" LCD up to 10x if using manual focus. You can moved the screen image around with arrow keys.

This is "kind of" what I guess you are after for helping with finer focus.
No laptop or LCD TV/monitor required

I've never tried hooking up to a monitor to see how it compares, I dont have the cable accessory.
Nice, thanks for this tip. I've also been trying to get a bit more control over my Macro photos and I haven't tried this before.
10-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I got an Olympus Varimagni right angle finder for my K20D after tiring of lying on my stomach. It works great and was only about $80. If your K7 has the same style finder it is another option. ...magnifying live view as another poster suggested is also a good idea.

Varimagni Finder Olympus OM finder group
10-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
I got an Olympus Varimagni right angle finder for my K20D after tiring of lying on my stomach. It works great and was only about $80. If your K7 has the same style finder it is another option. ...magnifying live view as another poster suggested is also a good idea.

Varimagni Finder Olympus OM finder group
It will indeed fit the K7.

10-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Good to know!
10-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

as will any Leica fit 90 degree finder , and they mostly have 2 x magnification which is a great help