Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #1

More K-7 problems...

The biggest of which is that its a lot more camera than I am photographer.

I had such a wonderful experience with my old film SLR and a few lenses. So, I thought with my layman's understanding of the big three: film speed, exposure time, and aperture, I could probable make the transition to digital. Eliminate the expense and trouble of scanning prints for post-processing.

Two months into owning my K-7, I am still not sure how to take an action photo.
I have read the manual to the point of brain death.
I'm not criticizing. Don't get me wrong, I 'm simply saying, the subject matter is not conducive to extended reading with comprehension. Knowing that I would need a lot of help in understanding how to use this camera, I also, picked up the Magic Lantern guide to the K-7.

In typing this post, I wonder if maybe the A-L button is part of the answer to my question?
How do I get the shutter to trip when I press the release, rather than 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 seconds later?

10-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nelsh Quote
I had such a wonderful experience with my old film SLR and a few lenses. So, I thought with my layman's understanding of the big three: film speed, exposure time, and aperture, I could probable make the transition to digital.
Good start and correct assumption. Just don't get consumed by learning what all 1000 features do. The reality is that you really need to master 10 or 20 features to take 99% of shots. I am using my *istDS and K10D mostly the same way I used K1000 or MX.

What exactly is the problem? What type of action shots you are trying to take, what are the lighting conditions, etc. Can you post some examples with intact EXIF?

In typing this post, I wonder if maybe the A-L button is part of the answer to my question?
Unlikely. Perhaps planning ahead using manual mode and manual focus would do?

How do I get the shutter to trip when I press the release, rather than 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 seconds later?
Interesting. What causes that delay? Doesn't sound right, should be much faster response.
10-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest of which is that its a lot more camera than I am photographer.

I had such a wonderful experience with my old film SLR and a few lenses. So, I thought with my layman's understanding of the big three: film speed, exposure time, and aperture, I could probable make the transition to digital. Eliminate the expense and trouble of scanning prints for post-processing.

I have read the manual to the point of brain death.
I'm not criticizing. Don't get me wrong, I 'm simply saying, the subject matter is not conducive to extended reading with comprehension. Knowing that I would need a lot of help in understanding how to use this camera, I also, picked up the Magic Lantern guide to the K-7.

Just a wild guess here

look on the front of the camera, there is a switch beside the lens mount
AF-S
AF-C
M

AF _S sets it to single AF and it locks at the pointit focuses, but the shutter won't trip unless the subject is in focus. this is OK for stationary things but not movement./

Put the camera in AF-C for contiuous mode, and this allows the camera to continually focus AND trigger the shutter when yo press the button, regardless of focus achieved or not.,
10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Check the in-camera settings for noise reduction and lens correction; both these processes are performed immediately after a shot is taken and you won't be able to take another shot until they complete.

10-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I have found on the K7 that I have best luck using a manual focus lens and catch in focus. AF-C sort of works but doesn't track very well in my attempts. Although, this was taken with a DA12-24

These were done with Manual focus lenses, AF-S, Catch In Focus

You can view full sized ones here

TestWithMelvin - a set on Flickr

I'm no expert at this but it is possible to catch action with the K7, it just takes a lot of practice.

Here is one more, my first bird in flight..

Of course, the closer you Are to the action (as in the dog shots), the more difficult stopping it becomes.

10-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good and solid advice.

I may suggest a few "tricks" to start up:
- I recommend the P-mode (on the dial);
- If you touch the wrong buttom/dials, press the green button to go back to the defaults setting.
- Use AF-S for a start. (ON the left, in front)
- Use Center focus (on the top right of LCD).

There are a few more settings that are handy:
- File format: RAW or JPEG. If unsure you can set RAW+ with JPEG 6 Mp [***]. (I use JPEG 14 Mp [**] myself.)
- ISO range: many recommend to stop at ISO3200 with the K-7.
- High ISO correction: see the thread from Adam in this forum: {https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html}.
- Lens distortion correction: if you use a Pentax lens, you may consider to swith on the lens distortion correction.

Hope that the suggestions will help...
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all. I feel I have experienced the delayed shutter response, particularly in low light conditions, from the start. Although, I am embarrassed to say, the most recent frustration may have been the result of the self-timer remaining on from some days ago. After setting the drive mode to single frame (default), it seemed to trip instantly, even indoors under artificial light.

How embarrassing is that? I think I'll go back to the manual and see if I can learn how to read the LCD. I'm sure that it was telling me the timer was on. I just didn't know what I was seeing.

And thank you for all the suggestions, I'm sure I'll find many of them useful as I embark on this tremendously rewarding journey of learning to feel comfortable with my Pentax. Thanks guys.

Last edited by nelsh; 10-04-2010 at 05:40 PM.