Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member
fccwpe's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perris, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 380
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'd go for K-x, it's the best value for money if you intend to use green mode. No need to buy the latest model for that.
Concur. I have the K20D and the K-x and have not had issue with missing the dial on the K-x. Excellent camera for the money, but I will be turning it over to my daughter as soon as I get the K-5.

10-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
I would go Kx simply for the $ you save you can buy some really nice lenses. You figure $650 (and thats brand new, 2 lens kit) or 400 for body only and with the $ you save you can buy a used Limited lens.

Beyond that, the Kx is still a great camera and I personally do not think the Kr is worth the $ difference. The biggest pro for me on the K7 is the WR. If the Kx was WR it would be the perfect camera for me.
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
What about getting K-x now (not SO much less a camera than the K-r) and upgrade to K-5 in a year and a half or so? Thus you'd spend perhaps a bit more than for a K-r bought now, and you'd have best of both worlds: good high ISO, the advantages of K-7 (and much more), the price advantage, a camera to shoot now and later.

For those without a lot of cash (like myself) I think the trick is to refrain from buying the last generation product.

Last edited by causey; 10-05-2010 at 10:22 AM.
10-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
Senior Member
kari's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 149
The second dial is overhyped in my opinion. You can achieve the same by holding down the Av +/- button when you want to change the other setting in M mode and once you're used to it, it won't slow you down at all. The K-x has the most bang for buck of any DSLR.

10-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
The second dial is overhyped in my opinion. You can achieve the same by holding down the Av +/- button when you want to change the other setting in M mode and once you're used to it, it won't slow you down at all. The K-x has the most bang for buck of any DSLR.
Can you assign ISO or EV to the front dial and change it on the fly without pressing other buttons? Can you set Tav mode and use the front dial to set Tv mode and the rear dial to set Av mode? Woops! Forgot. No front dial. No Tav either.

10-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
THANKS!!!
- I will look at the pictures tomorrow, why beyond bed time and tomorrow I have again early shift (two young daughters waking up).

Most / most important pictures will be from our kids, so typically not too dark. I also forsee making pictures at parties (can be pretty dark) or outside "action". Inside a bounce flash can help, potentially even more than high ISO performance... Outside the shutter speed has to be fast and a flash won't work, but on the other side it won't be really dark nor really fast (and also a lens with large aperture would help, but I dislike carrying big tripods around).

The sensor of K-7 and K-5 can rotate to correct user not holding the lens / camera well, next to vertical and horizontal shift. In K-x and K-r this rotation correction parameter is not functional at all. So that will harm effectiveness. But I couldn't find real & clear proof.
- Some where I read K-x only 1 stop and else where I read K-7 at least 2 but sometimes even 3-4 stops. But no apple to apple comparison.

If you have a flickr account, add me as a contact and I'll add you so you can see the family photos (that I don't allow public access to).

10-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by kari Quote
The second dial is overhyped in my opinion. You can achieve the same by holding down the Av +/- button when you want to change the other setting in M mode and once you're used to it, it won't slow you down at all. The K-x has the most bang for buck of any DSLR.
Agreed. The Kx is easily the best bang for your buck and after a few weeks with my Kx I can easily change anything I need for a new shot in just a few seconds.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Can you assign ISO or EV to the front dial and change it on the fly without pressing other buttons? Can you set Tav mode and use the front dial to set Tv mode and the rear dial to set Av mode? Woops! Forgot. No front dial. No Tav either.

So having ISO and EV controlled by a dial and having Tav is worth $500 (and thats a K7) or $1000 more for a K5?
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member
agsy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 545
Tav mode...I'd love to have it on the K-x...all Pentax would have to do is allow auto ISO in manual mode from firmware...

10-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
I know that I'm new to dSLRs and have a lot to learn but I've had my K-x for a couple of weeks and got 3 Pentax M lenses last week. It's pretty easy, once you practice a bit, to control all the setting (like the old days) with the K-x. Can't say I'm taking great photos yet with it but it is getting easier to use the dial, app ring, focus, and the Av +/- button to take photos. I like having lots of auto settings, particularly when I'm trying to shoot my son at soccer, but even then I'm playing with the ISO and Shutter speed (primarily) while letting the AF do its thing. I'm planning on trying the M 135/3.5 tonight at the soccer practice to see if I can focus fast enough (or anticipate well enough).
10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #25
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Agreed. The Kx is easily the best bang for your buck and after a few weeks with my Kx I can easily change anything I need for a new shot in just a few seconds.



So having ISO and EV controlled by a dial and having Tav is worth $500 (and thats a K7) or $1000 more for a K5?
Well, First you're assuming that the Kx is going to drop and that the K7 is going to stay at the current price. It isn't. But that aside, let's see what else we can throw in there.

Stereo sound on video. Kx? No.
HDMI output. Kx? No.
Top LCD. Kx? No.
Quiet shutter. Kx? Not according to what I've read.
1/8000 sec shutter speed. Kx? No.
100% OVF Pentaprism. Kx? No.
Able to use a grip. Kx? No.
5.2 frames per second RAW up to 15 frames. Kx? 4.6fps RAW up to 5 frames (according to manuals).
+/-5 EV Comp. Kx? +/-3
77 Segment meter. Kx? 16.
3" .9Mb screen. Kx? 2.7" .23Mb screen.
Weather Sealed. Kx? No.
AF assist light. Kx? No.
Visible AF points in the viewfinder. Kx? No.

Whether or not it's worth the money to you is entirely a personal decision. However, to say that because it isn't means it shouldn't for someone else and to limit it to 2 features, is a complete bogus argument. Before you go to the ISO argument, I've already addressed it a few posts back. In case you're thinking about pulling the AA argument out of your rear end, The battery grip for the K7 (and K5) pretty much kills that one too (which does a lot more than just add AA capability to those cameras).


Last edited by JeffJS; 10-05-2010 at 02:12 PM.
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well, First you're assuming that the Kx is going to drop and that the K7 is going to stay at the current price. It isn't. But that aside, let's see what else we can throw in there.

Stereo sound on video. Kx? No.
HDMI output. Kx? No.
Top LCD. Kx? No.
Quiet shutter. Kx? Not according to what I've read.
1/8000 sec shutter speed. Kx? No.
100% OVF Pentaprism. Kx? No.
Able to use a grip. Kx? No.
5.2 frames per second RAW up to 15 frames. Kx? 4.6fps RAW up to 5 frames (according to manuals).
+/-5 EV Comp. Kx? +/-3
77 Segment meter. Kx? 16.
3" .9Mb screen. Kx? 2.7" .23Mb screen.
Weather Sealed. Kx? No.
AF assist light. Kx? No.
Visible AF points in the viewfinder. Kx? No.

Whether or not it's worth the money to you is entirely a personal decision. However, to say that because it isn't means it shouldn't for someone else and to limit it to 2 features, is a complete bogus argument. Before you go to the ISO argument, I've already addressed it a few posts back. In case you're thinking about pulling the AA argument out of your rear end, The battery grip for the K7 (and K5) pretty much kills that one too (which does a lot more than just add AA capability to those cameras).

Woooow, calm down. I wasn't arguing anything. Your comment to Kari sounded condescending so I asked a simple question and since you didn't state all of the other extra features it seemed like all you cared about was the 2nd dial and that's what we were talking about is just the external controls. Either way both cameras are great in their own way but if you give me the option of either a Kx with a limited lens or a K7 body only, I'll take the Kx with the limited.
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Woooow, calm down. I wasn't arguing anything. Your comment to Kari sounded condescending so I asked a simple question and since you didn't state all of the other extra features it seemed like all you cared about was the 2nd dial and that's what we were talking about is just the external controls. Either way both cameras are great in their own way but if you give me the option of either a Kx with a limited lens or a K7 body only, I'll take the Kx with the limited.
I am quite calm (that's why every single one of my posts, ends with the Cool smiley, to show my general state of mind). Part of that is for the next crowd who pipes in that the features on the upper end cameras are just all HYPE.

10-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I am quite calm (that's why every single one of my posts, ends with the Cool smiley, to show my general state of mind). Part of that is for the next crowd who pipes in that the features on the upper end cameras are just all HYPE.

I do agree that some people think that the upper end camera's "extra" features are all hype and I do agree that those people are wrong. Those features are very useful to some but not so much to me and that is why I bought a Kx (that and because I have no money). For someone who wants a first DSLR I think the Kx is the perfect camera and again with the $ saved from not buying the Kr or K7 you can get a DA40 or a bunch of nice old lenses.

**But for the record, even though the Kr's new features are not all hype, I do believe it is over priced for what you get over the Kx. The K5 on the other hand is probably worth every penny. But we'll see once people get their hands on it.
10-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I do agree that some people think that the upper end camera's "extra" features are all hype and I do agree that those people are wrong. Those features are very useful to some but not so much to me and that is why I bought a Kx (that and because I have no money). For someone who wants a first DSLR I think the Kx is the perfect camera and again with the $ saved from not buying the Kr or K7 you can get a DA40 or a bunch of nice old lenses.
That is why I put into my post that the value of the features is an entirely personal decision. I'm pretty well set in lenses so I'm looking at bodies only at this point.

QuoteQuote:
**But for the record, even though the Kr's new features are not all hype, I do believe it is over priced for what you get over the Kx. The K5 on the other hand is probably worth every penny. But we'll see once people get their hands on it.
I would tend to agree but since neither camera has been put to a real User test yet, I'm waiting and seeing on the K5. ** AND for the record, I don't think I've ever said or inferred that the Kx was not a good camera, especially for the money. It Does offer a lot of bang for the buck and if it's ISO performance is what really attracts people (aside from the pretty colors), shoot away.. Just show us what you can do with it. I've yet to see a Pentax dSLR that could NOT perform once the user learned to overcome the quirks. **

10-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 523
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I would suggest that this that you're referring to is mainly for tripod work and liveview, not for action stuff with kids in low light handheld. When you're after "the moment" with kids you don't have time to faff about rotating the sensor
No, especially for hand hold!!!

Here some quotes:

K-x = K-r
QuoteQuote:
Image Stabilization: Type: Sensor-shift Shake Reduction (4 stops max)

Image stabilization delivers visible results but they are not as impressive as on some of the other systems that we've seen. It generates an advantage of approximately one stop. It appears to be slightly more efficient at very slow shutter speeds where it significantly increases your chances of getting a usable shot and therefore certainly provides a real benefit in many shooting situations.
K-7 = K-5
QuoteQuote:
Image Stabilization:Type - Sensor-shift Shake Reduction with rotational compensation (4 stops max); Electronic level function: Yes, verification via viewfinder and top LCD panel

The K-7's IS system certainly works but is not as impressive as some other systems we've seen. It generates an advantage of somewhere between one and two stops.

Apart from the usual ant-shake system the K-7 also offers something called horizon correction. This system detects a tilt of the camera and corrects for it by moving the sensor. We tilted the camera by approximately 1.7 degree to take the image on the left. This was almost but not entirely corrected by the system.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, correction, focus, iso, k-7, k-r, k-x, pentax, pentax help, performance, photography, resolution, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Clue What to Do With My Flash Deiberson Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 25 03-14-2010 07:12 AM
Samsung NX10 does not have Japanese support. A clue for Pentax NX Mount? Tobogi Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 01-08-2010 10:31 PM
Pentax rebates? Anyone have clue kbee007 Photographic Technique 3 10-03-2008 07:26 AM
Anyone have a clue... Das Boot Post Your Photos! 4 09-08-2008 06:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top