Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That may be a little misleading. While it is true that there is no combo setting for the e-dials that allows two unique functions with an M type lens (or an A lens switched off of A to manual aperture control), you Can shoot in Av mode with an M lens. In my previous example of setting ISO or EV to one of the dials, that one remains active and completely usable.

An M type lens cannot be used in Av mode, it will always be wide open in that setting. You need to use manual mode if you do not want to shoot wide open.

The second wheel can indeed be used to control eg iso, but because you can only use stop down metering you will loose direct feedback from the meter in your viewfinder so it is not that useful for M lenses.

The k7 is a luxury machine and well worth every dollar, but when you are on a budget I would eg spend the saved money of a kx purchase on an pentax540 or metz58 flash.

Last edited by tomtor; 10-07-2010 at 01:21 AM.
10-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bad news, today after work I went to TOP Camera in Nagoya and asked if I could try out the view finder magnifier on the K-x. Still friendly, yes of course, but no stock. Then I noticed the price of the K-x was about 20% higher than on internet and asked if he could do something about the price with the K-r empty bodies on display next to the K-r. He reacted madly that they have to be paid as well and also the building, so that is why they are more expensive than internet. Especially if they react like that to customers... I am willing to pay a little more, but 20% is IMHO too much, in many ways buying via internet is even more easy.
- Then he noticed he might not be selling anything and offered me 5% discount if I had a foreign passport (no / limitted tax), so I told him I am not a tourist but live here.

Service in Japan is great, NOT!!!

Tomorrow I check at one other shop, otherwise I will have to buy it via internet, or wait until my parents arrive to cash at least 5% discount.
10-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
An M type lens cannot be used in Av mode, it will always be wide open in that setting. You need to use manual mode if you do not want to shoot wide open.

The second wheel can indeed be used to control eg iso, but because you can only use stop down metering you will loose direct feedback from the meter in your viewfinder so it is not that useful for M lenses.

The k7 is a luxury machine and well worth every dollar, but when you are on a budget I would eg spend the saved money of a kx purchase on an pentax540 or metz58 flash.
Actually, there Is a way to do it. Release the lens lock and rotate the lens just until it stops all the way down. Then you can use the lens as you would an M42 that has the foil shorting the contacts.

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Bad news, today after work I went to TOP Camera in Nagoya and asked if I could try out the view finder magnifier on the K-x. Still friendly, yes of course, but no stock. Then I noticed the price of the K-x was about 20% higher than on internet and asked if he could do something about the price with the K-r empty bodies on display next to the K-r. He reacted madly that they have to be paid as well and also the building, so that is why they are more expensive than internet. Especially if they react like that to customers... I am willing to pay a little more, but 20% is IMHO too much, in many ways buying via internet is even more easy.
- Then he noticed he might not be selling anything and offered me 5% discount if I had a foreign passport (no / limitted tax), so I told him I am not a tourist but live here.

Service in Japan is great, NOT!!!

Tomorrow I check at one other shop, otherwise I will have to buy it via internet, or wait until my parents arrive to cash at least 5% discount.
He probably has a lot of people asking him to price match and gets more annoyed every time he hears the question. Doesn't matter though, didn't have all you wanted to look at. Keep an eye on the marketplace here for a Used option. Probably going to be a few lightly used ones in the coming weeks.

10-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #64
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are seriously considering the K5, for about the same money you could buy both the Kx and the K7. I have them both and think of them as specialized tools for different jobs. With two cameras you don't have to change lenses as often. If one goes kaput, you have the other. Two cameras are better than one!

10-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Two cameras are better than one!
I hear you, but not with young kids and typically having to carry other things as well.
- I would prefer 1 good camera
10-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just bought K-x on internet for more than 10,000 Yen less than in shop.
- Main drawback - now I have to wait 4-7 days... (I expected next working day)
10-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Just bought K-x on internet for more than 10,000 Yen less than in shop.
- Main drawback - now I have to wait 4-7 days... (I expected next working day)
Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Do you already own a good set of NiMH rechargeables, like Eneloops or another pre-charged brand?
You'll get a set of lithiums with the camera, but you could keep those as spare for emergencies when you run out of power.
10-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Do you already own a good set of NiMH rechargeables, like Eneloops or another pre-charged brand?
You'll get a set of lithiums with the camera, but you could keep those as spare for emergencies when you run out of power.
Thanks good advice / reminder. I was planning to do so and my wife already got a charger.
- All Eneloops are OK, or do I have to go for a specific NiMH type?

10-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Thanks good advice / reminder. I was planning to do so and my wife already got a charger.
- All Eneloops are OK, or do I have to go for a specific NiMH type?
All Eneloops should be OK.
10-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!!!
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
BH Photo has a good deal on the 18-55 & 55-300 kit ($628 free shipping) still in stock. Usually it gets sold out pretty quick. Thought I'd mention.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered that kit yesterday, got that price, and I got a call from UPS today saying that it would be delivered today. Checked the UPS site, and sure enough, it's "Out For Delivery".

Interesting, this is the first time UPS has ever called to say that they were delivering something. Is this something that B&H initiates?
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you got a good deal. I have never had any UPS call me to inform about delivery, not even from BH purchase. Quite unusual.