Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x randomly changing resolution

During my last trip, I had problems with K-x changing photo resolution. I know it may seem crazy, but I'm 100% sure that I didn't change any settings.

My camera is set to record images of best quality in resolution of 12M. 4-5 times I noticed that the resolution was changed to 2M or 10M. I usually don't change these settings, the only thing I change during the day that I'm shooting are shutter speed and focal ratio. ISO is fixed.

The only thing that comes to my mind is using the green button. When there is a large difference between two shots, I press the green button and then eventually change shutter speed for one or two "steps".

It is also interesting that the change to 10M appeared only during the night(s).

Does anyone have an idea? Thank you in advance!

10-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what do you have your ISO set to - a fixed value or a range?
10-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I discovered (and have proven by testing) that if I remove my Sigma 10-20mm while power is on (stupid, I know, but, hey! I'm human!), several settings may change. Most of the time it's the ISO that changes, but occasionally other settings change as well.

Tim
10-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The resolution will not change unless you change it yourself.

You must be accidentally hitting a button you shouldn't be hitting.

It's also possible that your green button is defaulting to do this, although I'm not 100% sure if the camera allows this. On my K-x, my green button is set to switch to RAW (I shoot mostly JPEGs), so maybe there's an option there for the green button to toggle through the various JPEG resolutions as well.

It shouldn't be happening, and 99.999%, it has to do with the set-up and not a problem with the cam itself.

Last edited by Ira; 10-05-2010 at 04:13 PM.
10-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
what do you have your ISO set to - a fixed value or a range?
It is set to fixed value (200 or 400). I usually change it only during the night - to 800.

QuoteQuote:
I discovered (and have proven by testing) that if I remove my Sigma 10-20mm while power is on (stupid, I know, but, hey! I'm human!), several settings may change. Most of the time it's the ISO that changes, but occasionally other settings change as well.

Tim

I have only one lens so didn't change it at all But it also comes to my mind that it could have something to do with ISO changes, because I change iso during the night and that is when resolution changed twice to 10M.

I also forgot to mention that HDR sometimes becomes active although it also wasn't activated by me. When I pressed info button, it displayed that hdr is off. It was only once that hdr photo was created and it was displayed as HDR1 under "info".

QuoteQuote:
The resolution will not change unless you change it yourself.

You must be accidentally hitting a button you shouldn't be hitting.

It's also possible that your green button is defaulting to do this, although I'm not 100% sure if the camera allows this. On my K-x, my green button is set to switch to RAW (I shoot mostly JPEGs), so maybe there's an option there for the green button to toggle through the various JPEG resolutions as well.

It shouldn't be happening, and 99.999%, it has to do with the set-up and not a problem with the cam itself.
Well, there are at least 3 "actions" that I should do before I change the resolution - hit the info button, then find the resolution and change it. It is quite impossible to do this without knowing it.

Yes, it could be related to the green button, although it does work as desired (default behaviour).

I updated my firmware to 1.01. Maybe I should reinstall it?