Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I had some printed out from snapfish online and I won't use them for my art shots again. Their colour calibration must be different to mine and the colours didn't print out the way I expected. I will be trying out a copy/print lab near my place next time I need prints done. One photo was cropped strangely as well and I couldn't figure out why.
If you are using commercial print services, don't use Adobe color settings. 99 percent of the world uses RGB, and files saved as Adobe won't come out the way you want.

10-05-2010, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had some printed out from snapfish online and I won't use them for my art shots again. Their colour calibration must be different to mine and the colours didn't print out the way I expected. I will be trying out a copy/print lab near my place next time I need prints done. One photo was cropped strangely as well and I couldn't figure out why.
First of all you should make sure your monitor is properly calibrated. You would be surprised how easily your eyes can adjust to color shift between what you see on screen and what you see in real life. A Huey will do a good enough job though there are better calibrators on the market. Second, make sure you are uploading the file for print size you think you are. It's an easy mistake for instance to upload a 3:2 ratio and have it printed to a 4:3 ratio, in which case, it will be strangely cropped when stretched or shrunk to match. Since I got a handle on those to items, I'm pretty satisfied that what I see on screen, is what I get in the print. Services like snapfish print 1000's of photos per day and they really have no way of knowing exactly what we want. So we have to anticipate the 'screw ups' and make our own pre-corrections. That way, when they screw it up, we get what we want. I know it's kind of a strange way to go about it but it does work. That's why for instance, I put a frame around all photos. Never is the frame completely there in the print but I end up with what I wanted as long as part of the frame is left. By frame, I mean a simple black or white border such as..

However, for Printing, I wouldn't use a frame as shown above. That one is 1/8" all the way around and is for screen viewing only. That throws off the ratios so the print crop will look strange. Instead, I insert a frame of 2 or 3 percent. That way the ratio stays the same as original.

If you are going to use a local lab, see if you can get the color profiles for the printers used. That way, you'll be further assured that what you see, is what you'll get.

10-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I print all my own prints on 2880 but recently following a comment on another thread I asked in the local Cosco for their profile so I could fix my images at home first. Guess what ,no body from the manager down had a clue what I was asking for. Even worse they told me that the "professional" photographers that use their service come in and "play" with the results till happy!!
10-07-2010, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks opfor, I actually haven't checked the colour settings, I will do that this weekend.

Great advice Jeff, gave you a thumbs up

lol @ Costco's comment. Those professionals must have a lot of spare time!

10-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I print all my own prints on 2880 but recently following a comment on another thread I asked in the local Cosco for their profile so I could fix my images at home first. Guess what ,no body from the manager down had a clue what I was asking for. Even worse they told me that the "professional" photographers that use their service come in and "play" with the results till happy!!

Went into Jessops (pretty much the biggest Camera-store company in the UK) today after reading replies and the same was said to me when I asked about profiling... He gave me the model number of the machine and told me to try finding it on the web...
A friend has recomended a small independant shop in a town not too far away by bus so I shall contact them when I next have need to print.
10-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

If you are printing on a wet lab, then just make sure your files are sRGB.
10-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Great advice Jeff, gave you a thumbs up
Thank you, Nicole!

10-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I didn't expect much....

Never printed 'Hard' copies of any of my pictures before, usually just bang them up on facebook for friends to see...

Recently had a birthday and took a load of shots of freinds, their kids, my family ect ect.... Bit of pp... Banged them up on FB... Job done.

Tagged friends names so they could see the pics of themselves, kids, dogs etc etc... Suddenly... They all want copies for photo albums and such!

That's cool... I'm flattered they like my shots... I'm also a skint 31 year old student... Cheapest place I could find for prints (I include transport costs) is the local big chain super market (Ocset read backwards) where I order 20 prints...

Just picked them up and am realing!! My shots now have tops/sides of heads cut off, colours have been 'messed' with, generally 'cropped' and look a big bit rubbish!! Not paid much but don't feel I can pass these prints on to my friends... Its just embarrassing!!

I expected more than that...
OK, good place for my 1500th post....tell your cheap ass 'friends' to d/l the file and pay for their own GD prints...problem solved!! hehehe...one thing you could do for the price of a set of prints is open an account somewhere like Zenfolio, SmugMug or the like where they offer the ability to let people pick and pay for prints they want...the labs are good as any others plus it relieves you of the headache and cost. I think Flickr has the same thing and I am not sure you even need their "pro" account for $25/yr. But check around because there are lots of options that help you not need to pay extra just because someone likes your photo. I know we all wanna be nice and are flattered when someone like the shots we put up, but if they like it enough they should be willing to pay for it themselves.

Plus with places like Zenfolio and SmugMug they can order all manner of things from coffee mug to calendars to cards to whatever and YOU get a kickback...this never is a bad thing! It's not much but if you have enough friends with credit cards that aren't maxed out you can cover your annual hosting fees which can be anywhere from $25-$150/yr depending on what you wanna do...and that includes unlimited storage and bandwidth.

Just something to consider...

10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are printing on a wet lab, then just make sure your files are sRGB.
Sorry, wheatfield got it right sRGB. Must be this cold I've been fighting this week.
I can't remember if it was an article or a discussion that I read last year. The bottom line is, with most of the world using P&S cameras and with most places just loading files into a machine, these places have machines that other people maintain/set up for them and they don't know much besides how to load files. The default seems to be for them to use sRGB since RGB is what people are used to seeing on their computer monitors.
So unless you are going to a 'pro' printer, the general advice is to follow the flock and use sRGB. That and to double check to make sure your pics are cropped the way you want them.
10-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
Sorry, wheatfield got it right sRGB. Must be this cold I've been fighting this week.
I can't remember if it was an article or a discussion that I read last year. The bottom line is, with most of the world using P&S cameras and with most places just loading files into a machine, these places have machines that other people maintain/set up for them and they don't know much besides how to load files. The default seems to be for them to use sRGB since RGB is what people are used to seeing on their computer monitors.
So unless you are going to a 'pro' printer, the general advice is to follow the flock and use sRGB. That and to double check to make sure your pics are cropped the way you want them.
It's not just not knowing (though this is a big part of it). The kiosk type printers don't allow the operator to access colour profiles and the like. Even wet lab machines such as Noritsu are loath to give up their profiles, and the owners really frown on lab techs messing around where they aren't supposed to be messing.
10-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went to a small place not far from me in the end. Took my laptop with me and the guy checked my monitor settings (which were AOK)
Ira... I am stupid! Had copied FBsize files instead of Hi-res when I went with the first batch! Doh!
But took all the ones that went bad (Hi-Res this time) and a few more from the last couple of weeks and got a boat load of 10x8's for a little bit more (per print) than last time! Worth the extra money though! :-)
Cheers for all for the feedback though guys!!