Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

live view and focus

I am doing a lot of still life stuff, indoors. I have lights set up, and often i am trying to throw the backgroound out of focus, and keep it dark, while having the objects illuminated. Because I am using the K7 on a tripod, and not usually at eye level, I have got used to using the live view feature. But I cant quite figure out a couple of things.
1 - manually focussing the kit lens isnt very easy in live view, the image is pretty jaggedy and low res when I zoom in and adjusting the focus causes movement in the picture. I have a f1.7 50mm lens as well and focussing is easier, but because of the quality of the picture given by live view it is still hit and miss. I have to check each shot and adjust focuss, take a shot, adjust, readjust and so on until I have the found my focal point. Is this normal, or is there a technique I can employ to help?

2 - There is some kind of gain control going on in Live view, dark parts of the set up cause live view to brighten up, while a lot of light makes the picture darken, which doesnt always help me find focus, is there a way to switch it off?

Graham

10-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grayboy Quote
I am doing a lot of still life stuff, indoors. I have lights set up, and often i am trying to throw the backgroound out of focus, and keep it dark, while having the objects illuminated. Because I am using the K7 on a tripod, and not usually at eye level, I have got used to using the live view feature. But I cant quite figure out a couple of things.
1 - manually focussing the kit lens isnt very easy in live view, the image is pretty jaggedy and low res when I zoom in and adjusting the focus causes movement in the picture. I have a f1.7 50mm lens as well and focussing is easier, but because of the quality of the picture given by live view it is still hit and miss. I have to check each shot and adjust focuss, take a shot, adjust, readjust and so on until I have the found my focal point. Is this normal, or is there a technique I can employ to help?
Would it not be easier to use contrast-autofocus with the kit lens? As you are using a tripod on stationary objects, it should be quite good... you can move your focus point pretty much everywhere in the frame in CDAF...

QuoteOriginally posted by grayboy Quote
2 - There is some kind of gain control going on in Live view, dark parts of the set up cause live view to brighten up, while a lot of light makes the picture darken, which doesnt always help me find focus, is there a way to switch it off?
If you hit AE-L in live view, it will also lock the liveview exposure...
10-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Would it not be easier to use contrast-autofocus with the kit lens? As you are using a tripod on stationary objects, it should be quite good... you can move your focus point pretty much everywhere in the frame in CDAF...
Ok - dont knwo what contrast-auto-focus is but I'll dig throught he manaul and have a look at it.

QuoteQuote:
If you hit AE-L in live view, it will also lock the liveview exposure...
I didnt know that - I'll give it a go. cheers.