Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
jpecg with Pentax Digital Utility vs RAW

Hi everyone,
I hear a lot about the advantages about shooting raw and I almost got convinced until I started using the Pentax digital camera utility. Although not the fastest tool available, it allows to tweak exposure a bit but most importantly properly fix the white balance and with the on- camera different options (cloudy,shade...!). How many times have I shared my K-x with my last settings to find out that the person who used it didn't care about asking why the white balance was so off!!
So, besides the fact that for some reason, I'm not able to adjust anything for about 5% of my pics (although all taken with the same lens, some pics are not editable -full exif doesn't seem to be recorded- maybe someone can help about this), why uisn't this sofware more praised in this forum?
PS: Although I'm never happy with the auto white balance with my K-x, when borrowing other brand's dslr, I'm definitely missing the on the fly WB adjustment allowed by Pentax systems. But maybe I just got used to the actually great pentax usability and didn't manage to find out the Canxx way...

10-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax software had a horrible interface for a long time, so most people gravitate toward other options. I'm not sure if PDCU is any better now because I only popped it open briefly.

I use Photo Browser v3.5 still for some file handling purposes, but Elements v6 for processing. I have not migrated from v3.5 to PDCU because the main thing I want it to do exif list) is not as convenient (creates extra blank columns of data not supported by the K20D). However, v3.5 has no healing brush or leveling tool, the last of which is mandatory for Pentax leaning-viewfinder correction....the main reason I went elsewhere.
10-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Older dcu versions had horrible user interfaces, but I find the latest version quite decent.

It even offers perspective correction. What amazes me though is that it has no automatic lens distortion correction!