Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Initial Pentax KX setup?

Hi everybody,

so my new Pentax KX is now on order from my local camera shop and should be with me within 2 weeks.

I have purchased a second hand Hoya polariser and a Kenko UV filter to get me started.

My question is........ is there any things i need to change in the setup on arrival of the KX before i start taking photos?
I know one thing i need to change is the autofocus to centre point but just wanted to know if there is any other essential changes i need to make to the KX before i use it?

I am new to dslr and to pentax so put it in easy terms please

Thankyou,

Ross.

10-07-2010, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roscopecotrain Quote
My question is........ is there any things i need to change in the setup on arrival of the KX before i start taking photos?
I know one thing i need to change is the autofocus to centre point
Not necessarily, depends all on your shooting style. Change if you prefer to center focus and recompose, otherwise, keep at 11 points or, for more accurate AF when subject is in the middle of the composition, 5 points is my preferred.

there is any other essential changes i need to make to the KX before i use it?
A good thing to check is the "custom image" settings, if you like to shoot JPGs. There you can select modes like "Bright" or "Vibrant" to see which ones you prefer. The default one select produces natural colors, but some find it rather dull and prefer more saturated images.
10-07-2010, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have purchased a second hand Hoya polariser and a Kenko UV filter to get me started.

Ross.
Ross,

Filters in general have a negative impact on you image quality.
Sometimes this effect is worse than you might expect.
Please check out this lens review: UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

So you want them off the camera if you do not need them.

Hope this helps you make better pictures with you new K-x!
Have fun.

- Bert
10-07-2010, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

First things I've setup on my KX and K7 :
- RAW!
- disabled all highlight/shadow corrections
- disabled automatic picture rotation (I prefer seeing them big than well oriented!)
- On the K7 : disabled status screen (as there is no way to keep its state in memory, so it's always on on power-up)
- in Memory menu, everything I deem important to keep from one session to the next. For instance, iso is set to no, and it start in auto-iso, 100-12800 (so I can always grab my camera in a hurry and snap a pic).
- Drive mode to high speed (so if I need it in a hurry, I don't have to fumble with the menu, I just keep my finger on the shutter!). Takes some time to avoid taking a double shot, but it's really a must have!
- focus point to user selectable...
- flash to controller mode in wireless (but you have to buy a slave flash ;-) )
- Permit A ring (as I have manual lenses).

Mmmmh... That's all, I think...

10-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Not necessarily, depends all on your shooting style. Change if you prefer to center focus and recompose, otherwise, keep at 11 points or, for more accurate AF when subject is in the middle of the composition, 5 points is my preferred.

A good thing to check is the "custom image" settings, if you like to shoot JPGs. There you can select modes like "Bright" or "Vibrant" to see which ones you prefer. The default one select produces natural colors, but some find it rather dull and prefer more saturated images.

Thanks for the help hcarvalhoalves, the only reason i thought of center focus point was because people are saying that the focus points do not come up in the viewfinder so it is easier to have center point to focus and then recompose.
Trial and error though really so i will try the 5 point focus and see what happens and how i like it.

Thanks again.
10-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Ross,

Filters in general have a negative impact on you image quality.
Sometimes this effect is worse than you might expect.
Please check out this lens review: UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

So you want them off the camera if you do not need them.

Hope this helps you make better pictures with you new K-x!
Have fun.

- Bert
Thanks Bert,

i thought UV filter was essential to keep lens safe from dirt and scratches and has no effect on the picture?

the polariser i know effects the picture and is only used on bright sunny days to cut through haze and boost colours so will only be used then.

thanks again.
10-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
First things I've setup on my KX and K7 :
- RAW!
- disabled all highlight/shadow corrections
- disabled automatic picture rotation (I prefer seeing them big than well oriented!)
- On the K7 : disabled status screen (as there is no way to keep its state in memory, so it's always on on power-up)
- in Memory menu, everything I deem important to keep from one session to the next. For instance, iso is set to no, and it start in auto-iso, 100-12800 (so I can always grab my camera in a hurry and snap a pic).
- Drive mode to high speed (so if I need it in a hurry, I don't have to fumble with the menu, I just keep my finger on the shutter!). Takes some time to avoid taking a double shot, but it's really a must have!
- focus point to user selectable...
- flash to controller mode in wireless (but you have to buy a slave flash ;-) )
- Permit A ring (as I have manual lenses).

Mmmmh... That's all, I think...

Thanks for comprehensive list dlacouture, some very interesting points.

why do you disable all highlight/shadow corrections?

i like the idea of being able to grab camera and take a picture quickly and i will take all you have said on board and try them out.

Thankyou.

10-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Bert,

i thought UV filter was essential to keep lens safe from dirt and scratches and has no effect on the picture?

the polariser i know effects the picture and is only used on bright sunny days to cut through haze and boost colours so will only be used then.

thanks again.
I know, a lot of people use UV filters for that purpose.
It does protect your lens from scratches, however it has a negative effect on the picture.
If you do, you need pro grade filters, which are expensive.
A lot of people use their lens hoods for protection, that's why you see so many lens hoods used indoors.
Very, very small scratches on the front element of your lens hardly have an effect on the picture though.

Cheers, Bert
10-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I know, a lot of people use UV filters for that purpose.
It does protect your lens from scratches, however it has a negative effect on the picture.
If you do, you need pro grade filters, which are expensive.
A lot of people use their lens hoods for protection, that's why you see so many lens hoods used indoors.
Very, very small scratches on the front element of your lens hardly have an effect on the picture though.

Cheers, Bert
Thankyou Bert for the quick response. I have bought a Kenko UV filter so not pro spec.
I will take photos with and without and compare.
Ilike the idea of the lense hood for protection.

Great Bert thankyou
10-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thankyou Bert for the quick response. I have bought a Kenko UV filter so not pro spec.
I will take photos with and without and compare.
Ilike the idea of the lense hood for protection.

Great Bert thankyou
The biggest issues with filters is with flare.
Have a look at the test results.
Most issues are with light sources, evening, direct sun light etc.

Have fun shooting with your new gear!

- Bert