Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Red display on K-x Live View

I've been using Live View on my new K-x (tripod mounted), and occasionally the information display at the bottom of the screen flashes red. I can't find any explanation in the book, and can't fathom out the circumstances when it happens. Can someone please enlighten me.

Many thanks

Lloyd

10-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This means that it cannot reach proper exposure...

It could be because ISO is too low in a dark scene, or the aperture is too small, or you have a too high iso/large aperture in full sun...
10-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

I was at a wedding last night, and wanted someone else to take a picture of me. I put the camera in auto picture mode, told her to just press the shutter, and no matter what, there was no pic! The flash was up and everything. I just kept getting red flashing numbers on the bottom of the liveview screen. I just wanted the camera to be used as a point and shoot. Was I doing something wrong, or is that not a great feature of the K-x?
10-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flashing red part seems to be because it is too dark. At least when I turn on live view and point to a dark corner it flashes red. Move the aim point to a better lit area and the text turns white. Note that the camera will take a picture when blinking red if the auto-focus has locked on.

I tried this several times and could get a white focus square in the middle and the blinking red text. In this case the camera would take the picture.

I also got a red square in the middle indicating the auto-focus gave up and blinking red text. In this case the camera would not take a picture.

So I assume this is caused by two related but separate events. The camera would not take a picture because the auto-focus failed. And the blinking red text means it is too dark.

Tried the same thing without live view and everything worked as expected. The flash blinked to aid the auto-focus and then the picture was taken. I saw no evidence that the flash fired to assist the auto-focus while live view was on. I assume this is by design but who knows?

Just a case of live view not really up to what you expect from a point & shoot camera. I think it would have worked fine if you had shown them how to use the view finder, but I understand that it is a little harder to get someone to use if they are used to P&S cameras.

10-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

now that you mention it, I saw the same thing. In the VF the pic took even in the dark. Sad, because the low light functionality of this camera is good, now if it can only work in live view. Maybe a firmware update so the flash can help AF in liveview?

Last edited by neurocyclist; 10-17-2010 at 07:29 PM.