Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Struggling with the switch from canon ps to pentax kx

I just recently lost my canon powershot S1 IS....I really enjoyed that camera and took some decent shots with it. I did my research and decided on the Pentax KX.

I admit I am now feeling completely inadequate with the camera and really frustrated.

For instance... I tried to take a night shot tonight. I went outside and it is dark. With my canon, I could take the shot, no problem. The flash would light up the night. When I took my camera out, it refused to make the shot. I tried adjusting the ISO, I tried putting it on scene/night shot... but all I get is this weird flash sound and it won't take the shot ( weird is defined best by a sound that sounds like it is shorting out, it happened one other time when I forgot to take the lens cap off)

I must sound stupid... I am sorry...I know there is a learning curve. I really want to enjoy this camera, to understand this camera..and I did a really decent job with the powershot so this is sort of overwhelming me.

10-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried not using the flash? I don't usually use a flash with night photos.
10-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds like it's not locking focus.

Are you doing this in live view mode? Are you pointing the camera at something which has some contrast which will give the AF something to lock on to?
10-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

it is a focusing issue. the sound that you hear is the pre-flash that should assist in locking in focus, which apparently it doesn't.
If you switch to manual focus you should be able to take the shot without interferance but then, well, you'll have to focus manually obviously.

10-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like the flash is on Auto Focus Assist mode. When the light level is low, and the flash is up it will strobe to provide enough light for the AF system to focus on something.

DSLRs are usually set to NOT take a photo is the camera cannot focus on something.

So in addition to the flash being up you need to be point the camera at something with contrast on its surface so the AF system has something to focus on.

Point and Shoot cameras, because of the lenses that they use, have a much wider focus tollerance than a DSLR.

Also remember, with the PowerShot it was doing MORE work for you than a DSLR will do. With a DSLR you need to do some thinking about the photo.

If you know where you will be focusing, you could take the lens off AF and set it to manual focus and focus by looking through the viewfinder, or just set a focus distance on the front of the lens (if the lens has a focus distance scale)

Regards

Chris Stone
10-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you

that makes much more sense to me... I didn't realize how much work my powershot was doing for me...I kinda feel really stupid now.

I have some learning to do...and some reading.. I will practice this more tomorrow..thank you for explaining this to me...I am a complete newbie with a dslr.
10-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Remember to select the Central Focus Point to tell the camera where to focus and you also know where the camera focuses on .

10-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junerainbow Quote
I just recently lost my canon powershot S1 IS....I really enjoyed that camera and took some decent shots with it. I did my research and decided on the Pentax KX.

I admit I am now feeling completely inadequate with the camera and really frustrated.

For instance... I tried to take a night shot tonight. I went outside and it is dark. With my canon, I could take the shot, no problem. The flash would light up the night. When I took my camera out, it refused to make the shot. I tried adjusting the ISO, I tried putting it on scene/night shot... but all I get is this weird flash sound and it won't take the shot ( weird is defined best by a sound that sounds like it is shorting out, it happened one other time when I forgot to take the lens cap off)

I must sound stupid... I am sorry...I know there is a learning curve. I really want to enjoy this camera, to understand this camera..and I did a really decent job with the powershot so this is sort of overwhelming me.
With the K-x (DSLR), you have more control on how you want to take the shot (even/especially with flash). The p&s camera does everything for you but may not be the optimal shot that you want. For example, which one of the following shots is taken with a p&s camera and which one with flash? May be you already know the answer (check the EXIF)... The picture size is reduced for posting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D300  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-09-2010 at 08:16 AM.