Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #1

Need advice for K20

Hello all,

I need some help - being a newbie in DSLR world, I did bought myself K20 a year ago.
I fitted it with Pentax 16-45 ED F4 and Tamron 18-250

Outside in sunny day it takes nice pictures, but I struggle in cloudy / dark days,
indoors - low light in general. No matter I try my camera did take dark pictures-
if I set low speed SR is not enough to compensate the hand shake ( I dont want to use tripod) or if I put high ISO there is too much noise and picture is ruined.

Recently I borrowed a Nikon D90+18-105VR and did some shots with both cameras and D90 pictures look way brigther than K20+Tamron18-250. Even lightroom corrections where not enough. Maybe Pentax F2.8 lens would solve the problem but are over my budget

Now I find myself thinking of moving to D90+18-105 or simmilar - I need something with higher speed and faster AF. 18-105 looks perfectly for all-arounder lens .

I actually like my K20 and I need reasons to keep it.

Can someone help with advice,please?

Thank you

Tanyo

10-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh boy. Comparing a Nikon to a Pentax in a Pentax forum? This should at least start out as a civilize discussion.

And when you show us some sample photos with exif intact, please do not include photos of lamps or flowers unless there is a dame standing in front of them.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 10-08-2010 at 06:16 AM.
10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

A faster lens will work, or a good flash. You can pick up an old 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 for relatively little. Even a new, fast DA lens wouldn't cost as much as another camera and lens.
10-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
And when you show us some sample photos with exif intact, please do not include photos of lamps or flowers unless there is a dame standing in front of them.
Welcome to the forum. Please do the above so that we can help you out.

10-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The only thing I could think of that might help here are some simple assurances.

1. The K20D does take nice outdoor pictures with most lenses I've tried(but I don't own the Tamron)

2. The K20D does take well exposed indoor shots with most lenses I've used also.

On a side note, I would perhaps ask what metering you used and if... perhaps the lens your using couldn't benefit from an eV adjustment on the camera.

Additionally, the K20D is capable of decent high ISO images, but... it's not a high ISO machine like a Kx or D90, and the new crop of camera's(K-r and K-5) that have recently been announced. So its important to keep that in mind along the way. If you're shooting JPG, I'd say to hold short of ISO2000 if you want to keep things simple. Otherwise, you're looking at shooting RAW and you'll have to work(in Post Processing) to keep things under control.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.
There may be other reasons of course why your camera is unexposing, however, my first inclination is to say it's not normal, nor necessary. The K20D has decent DR and has no problems shooting in tough lighting conditions such as direct sunlight. And we use ours in low light and indoor shooting situations quite a bit.
10-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't forget the Sigma 2.8 18-50. Similar in price to the Pentax 16-45 too.

But I do have to agree with the rest: Knowing what your camera settings were on the pictures you take (please post a couple and add the camera settings/modes), so forums members can give you some tips/advice about what caused your problems.

It could be something as simple as being on the wrong mode, or exposure compenstation could be set wrong, or even the white balance could be on the wrong setting.
10-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Without repeating the above advice, Perhaps, before jumping the Pentax ship, consider that sometimes, you just need to use a flash..

10-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple of things:

A) The k20d is a great camera, but the camera retains both significant noise and detail. Most high iso pictures from nikon (and especially cannon) look almost like paintings at 100% because of the noise reductions. So yes, there is more noise, and if you process the image correctly you can make it look like film.

B) I find that the D90 certainly looks better at high ISO in the camera, but if you import your photos shot at 6400, they tend to look very fake. You really want to figure out a way to shoot below 3200, preferably 1600.

C) Not all lens apertures are made equal. Lens A (f4) and Lens B (f4) might not gather the exact same amount of light. I know nothing about the Tameron 18-250, but there is a good chance that it is a darker lens at f5.6 then your Pentax zoom, and the Nikon zoom. This could also be a problem.

The k20d's sensor was sort of an oddballl - a little noisy, but excellent colour and fine detail. A well exposed photo with the K20D has a lot of potential in post processing. The Nikon sensor seems much more sensitive, but I find the colour and detail to be a little surrealistic. Everyone has their preference, and neither is correct.

10-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love and use the 18-250 -- but not indoors on my K20D, and not at night, not without flash nor tripod. My available-light AF lens is the FA50/1.4 I bought with the camera. My available-light manual lenses are a Zenitar 16/2.8 (under US$200), Sigma 24/2.4 (I want to replace it with a good Vivitar-Kiron 24/2), Mamiya-Tomioka 55/1.4 (US$25) or Takumar 55/1.8 (US$10), and a modded Nikkor 85/2 (US$9, I got lucky!). The new DAL 35/2.4 might be right for you, or a good flash. Many manual lenses faster than f/2.8 are still amazing cheap. Just remember that by jumping to Nikon, you lose in-body shake reduction.

Last edited by RioRico; 10-08-2010 at 03:37 PM.
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It is difficult to know what is wrong with your photos without examples. Although a super zoom is nice for outdoor, it is not the best for indoor shots without flash.
10-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tanyo Quote
Hello all,

I need some help - being a newbie in DSLR world, I did bought myself K20 a year ago.
I fitted it with Pentax 16-45 ED F4 and Tamron 18-250

Outside in sunny day it takes nice pictures, but I struggle in cloudy / dark days,
indoors - low light in general. No matter I try my camera did take dark pictures-
if I set low speed SR is not enough to compensate the hand shake ( I dont want to use tripod) or if I put high ISO there is too much noise and picture is ruined.
We're missing a very important piece of information: What aperture are you using indoors?
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Oh boy. Comparing a Nikon to a Pentax in a Pentax forum? This should at least start out as a civilize discussion.

Hello again. I am sorry Mat If you got me wrong. I do not open a discusion who is the best. We all are grown enough to make our decisions .

I am not Nikonaian, just my K20 doesn't take the pictures way Nikon did. And in my eyes the difference is not small. I did not had chance to try Canon , it could be better too. I don't follow the brand, I follow my needs. K20 is good, but it seems doesn't fit my expectations.

That's why am looking for explanation of my trouble in this forum. I hope there is a lot of people that could help me . Maybe I am wrong, may be my choice was wrong. Let's find out.

I did upload some pictures taken with both cameras- K20 and D90

Here: Pentax vs Nikon pictures by Tanyo_Tanev - Photobucket

I did some cropping to decrease file size, leaving just important parts.

The settings for shutter, aperture and ISO are very close, but for some reason focal lenght have some diferce which is not important, IMHO.

Please comment

Thank you
10-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The settings for shutter, aperture and ISO are very close, but for some reason focal lenght have some diferce which is not important, IMHO.

Please comment

Thank you
You clearly did not read much of our responses.

Yes Nikon (in that generation) had better high ISO. However, you were using very different lenses for each camera. Just because 2 lenses are set to the same aperture does NOT mean they will both let the same amount of light in. Your superzoom is not a good lens to use indoors.

My K55 at f5.6 lets in a lot more light then my kit lens at 55mm, f5.6.

That said... I personally prefer the Pentax photos you posted over the Nikon. Is your problem simply that you find the Pentax photos too dark compared to the Nikon images (which, to my eyes, look washed out?) All you need to do is use exposure compensation if that is what you want.
10-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The top row of photos look properly exposed, the bottom row significantly over exposed.
10-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The top row of photos look properly exposed, the bottom row significantly over exposed.
Totally agree, some of the bottom(row of three) have unnaturally exposed shadow regions.