Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any difference between Genuine battery grip & OEM grip

I noticed that a Genuine grip's price is much higher than an OEM one, as much as 150 bucks, is there any difference between them besides the price difference and why the price is so different?
PS: What I have is a K7 and looking for DBG4 grip.

Thank you.

10-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As per our accessory database, you'll notice that the generic grip is not weather sealed. I think that's the only difference.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see, thank you for answer my question.
10-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

In terms of functionality there is no difference but in aesthetics there is a big difference. I purchased an OEM grip before finding a good deal on a genuine Pentax grip and there is a big difference. The OEM grip felt like it was made of thin cheap plastic, and the textured part of the grip was quite slippery. The shutter button also wasn't as soft as the genuine grips button and at times a little stiff to press down to get auto focus to work.

10-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the Travor, Chinese-made grip for my K10D. My son bought on eBay for me as a Christmas gift. I do not have the genuine Pentax grip, so I can't do a direct comparison.

I can say, however, that the Travor grip fits my K10D perfectly and, as far as I can tell, works perfectly. It has all the same controls as the Pentax grip. Internally, it has the storage for a spare SD memory card and the Pentax IR remote, just as the Pentax grip does.

Mine doesn't feel particularly slippery or cheaply made. Weather sealing is not a priority for me. Considering the price difference, I can live without it. I think he paid about $45-50 for it, including shipping.

If you go the 3rd party grip route, just be careful. For the K10D/K20D grips, there are a couple of different ones out there. The cheapest ones do not include all the controls that the Pentax grip has. Usually the cheapest ones have only the shutter release and lack the e-dials, etc. Mine has all of them.

I have been perfectly happy with mine.
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If you can afford it, go for the real thing. The D-BG4 feels like the K7 it self.
Cant comment on the OEM.
10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
In terms of functionality there is no difference but in aesthetics there is a big difference. I purchased an OEM grip before finding a good deal on a genuine Pentax grip and there is a big difference. The OEM grip felt like it was made of thin cheap plastic, and the textured part of the grip was quite slippery. The shutter button also wasn't as soft as the genuine grips button and at times a little stiff to press down to get auto focus to work.
I also own both at the moment and echo the above sentiment. Yes they are visually the same, but hold them and touch them side by side and they are obviously made from different materials, and the pentax grip is sealed so buttons are more responsive and everything is to a tighter build tolerance.
12-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blatfish Quote
I noticed that a Genuine grip's price is much higher than an OEM one, as much as 150 bucks, is there any difference between them besides the price difference and why the price is so different?
PS: What I have is a K7 and looking for DBG4 grip.

Thank you.
Just to clarify a point. FYI, The Genuine grip is the OEM grip. It stands for Original equipment manufacture. The grips made by other companies are referred to as third party products. Some posters were confused about this.

Dave

12-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Not all 3rd Party Grips the same

If you're going to buy a third-party grip, be aware that there are some out there that do not have all the controls. If you search eBay for them, you will find that some of the cheapest ones have only the shutter release button.

I have the Travor grip. If does include all the same functions, buttons and dials as the genuine Pentax grip, including both e-dials, etc.
12-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The off brand grip that people seem to buy the most is from gadget infinity. I own the Pentax brand grip and am quite satisfied with it. As others have said, the big thing you give up with the off brand grip is weather sealing. Quality probably isn't quite as good either.