Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

Catch-in Focus questin on K-x

I'm still learning about all the features of my new K-x. Recently I tried to take some pictures using the Catch-in Focus Mode and I hope my camera isn't faulty.

From the description in the manual it appears that Catch-in Focus won't work with either of my two kit lenses - DA L 18-55 or DA L 55-300 - since they don't have AF/MF setting on the lenses. Am I correct on that?

But shouldn't it work with my Pentax-A 1:2 50mm F2? When I try, the camera only shows MF in the AF Mode box on the control panel and won't let me select AF.A or AF.S like I need to for Catch-in Focus to work. This happens in all modes, i.e. M, Av, Tv, Sv, and P. (I have set menu item 21 ON in the Custom Setting Menu.)

If it won't work with my 50 mm F2 lens, is there a relatively cheap (<$75) lens that I could buy that would let me use Catch-in Focus with either extension tubes or a snap on Raynox DCR-150 lens for macro pictures? I was hoping Catch-in Focus would enable me to get well-focused pictures of insects.

Thanks in advance for any help.

10-10-2010, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure your camera is in AF.A or AF.S before you switch it to your MF lens. It's one of those lame firmware bugs they still haven't fixed. And yeah, it doesn't work with autofocus lenses (even my Tamron 70-200mm which has an AF/MF switch on the lens). That's also on the wishlist...

If your AF mode is set correctly before you attach your 50mm, then it should work. The body AF/MF switch also needs to be on AF. Does it just take pictures even when you set it on the wrong focus?

It should work with all K/M/A series lenses, and if your tubes short out the contacts on the lens mount (or you do manually with foil. Workaround is on the wishlist, of course), it should also work with them. You can also play with reversal rings and stick that 50mm backwards on to your DA 18-55mm.
10-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Eruditass,

I put on the DAL 18-55 lens and made the settings on the camera and then mounted the 50 mm lens and it now appears to work with the 50 mm lens. I do have to hold the shutter button down and the camera will take the picture when the object moves into focus. If I release the shutter button, it won't take a picture even when an object comes into focus and the focus indicator lights up. Is that how Catch-in Focus is supposed to work, i.e. that you need to hold the shutter button down until the camera decides to take the picture?

Thanks.
10-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Is it safe to assume you've Enabled CIF? Pg 123 in the manual?

For what it's worth, you can make CIF work with just about any lens. With AF lenses you can hold down the release button (the one that you press to remove the lens) which will free up the focus mechanism. You can then manual focus just like any MF lens.

In my opinion CIF is perfect for what you want to do with it (closeups)..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/117527-macro-learned-new-trick.html

10-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, I enabled CIF by setting menu item 21 ON in the Custom Setting Menu. I'll try the method of holding down the release button with the kit lenses.

Thanks,
10-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
To use a kit lens for catch-in-focus, put a small piece of aluminum foil over the mount's lowermost contact as you attach the lens.

The camera will think you've mounted an "A" type lens; autofocus won't work, but everything else will work including cif and p-ttl (auto-flash). It is handy for fast moving sports etc, as runners pass the preset focus plane for example.

Dave
10-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
To use a kit lens for catch-in-focus, put a small piece of aluminum foil over the mount's lowermost contact as you attach the lens.

The camera will think you've mounted an "A" type lens; autofocus won't work, but everything else will work including cif and p-ttl (auto-flash). It is handy for fast moving sports etc, as runners pass the preset focus plane for example.

Dave
The purpose of pushing the lens release is to disengage the AF so you are not turning the AF motor with the lens focus ring (and all of it's associated cheap plastic gearing).