Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D firmware update

Hi all.
I've been reading Pentax Forum for a long time but this is my first time to pose a question.

I use a k20D with a variety of lenses, mostly from Sigma.

My question: i recently downloaded a firmware update [v1.04 for K20D]. I've never tried a firmware update before, and i'm just a little nervous about messing with something that i won't be able to reset.

So my questions [just realized i have two:
1. Is this update worthwhile?
2. Is there anything that can go wrong once i start the process?

Thanks for the advice / ron

10-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

I my experience the upgrade is worthwhile. The shake reduction is much improved as from firmware 1.03. With the older firmware I ahd a hard time getting sharp images with the K20D.

The instructions should be included with the downloaded file. Make sure that the battery is fully charged before upgrading.
10-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I would say it depends on where you are now. Press Menu while turning the camera on and it will tell you what your version is. If it's anything less than 1.03 then go ahead with the update. If not, and the camera is working, I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the 1.04 firmware was just to address some issues with different types of SD cards.

Of course, do what you like but heed the warning to make sure your battery is fully charged and follow the instructions packed with teh FW file to the letter. The whole process shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

10-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Welcome to the forum.

I my experience the upgrade is worthwhile. The shake reduction is much improved as from firmware 1.03. With the older firmware I ahd a hard time getting sharp images with the K20D.

The instructions should be included with the downloaded file. Make sure that the battery is fully charged before upgrading.
I'm gathering you aren't claiming the SR improved between 1.03 and 1.04? (It really did get a lot better between 1.03 and any previous versions. I've basically stopped ever turning it off. Downloaded the 1.04, but haven't installed yet, on the 'It ain't broke' theory of tech-phobia.

10-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm gathering you aren't claiming the SR improved between 1.03 and 1.04? (It really did get a lot better between 1.03 and any previous versions. I've basically stopped ever turning it off. Downloaded the 1.04, but haven't installed yet, on the 'It ain't broke' theory of tech-phobia.
Right, I'm talking from 1.00 to 1.03. That was a major improvement, at least for my "shakes". I never upgraded to 1.04.
10-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I'll charge it up tonight and try it tomorrow.

ron
10-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The deed is done. Worked exactly the way the instructions described. I love when that happens.

Thanks again for the advice.

ron

10-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great, Ron. And, Yawelcome.

You won't have seen the old version enough to know, but that's a real SR upgrade you just installed: As a frequent low-light shooter, I pride myself on having really steady hands, (at least when the rest of me is steady, ) and that's where the older firmware really got me: it'd be prone to try and correct sometimes when it didn't need to. I got so I'd be turning it off a lot, when I was having a good day: (Imagine my frustration while I figured *that* out: The steadier I was, the more fouled shots I'd get. With the update I hardly ever touch that switch anymore.

Basically, SR systems look for some camera motion to try and correct for: if there isn't much, they can become confused (This is why it's best to turn off the SR on a tripod, even now: the camera will do this automatically if you use the self-timer or a remote.) The firmware update makes the SR system a lot smarter about this, among other things. Which is a long way around saying, 'be happy, this should work great.'
10-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Very interesting explanation.

I have always been aware that my K20 was not as good in low light conditions as my old K100. I attributed the differencd to the much lower pixel density of the K100 [1.6mp/cm2 as opposed to 4.0 mp/cm2 for the K20].

It will be very interesting to see how the improved SR affects the low light performance of the K20 overall.

ron
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I should have read this thread earlier. Just checked my K20D, and I have Version 1.01. Looks like I have some upgrading to do. I did it once on my K100D, but haven't done it at all with the K20D.
12-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi there.

Just updated my K20D to 1.04 version two days ago in order to prevent SDHC crashes i encountered three times during last week.

Now I have a strange feeling that noise reduction algorithms have been improved since version 1.03.
Is it true, have anyone noticed this?

p.s. I haven't noticed serious improvements in SR since 1.03. Well, 1.03 SR were perfect enough.
But I'll still check it up.