Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

New Kx owner: Old Lens Compatibility?

My first thread.

Just got my new Kx from B&H. I bought it with kit lens 18-55 and 55-300. This is my first dslr, however, I have Pentax 35mm cameras that I used to shoot with years ago. My old cameras (still have them) are a Pentax MX w/winder and a Pentax P3.

That leads to my question... I have an assortment of lenses that I used to uses with those bodies.

Can I used these lenses with my new Kx without concern of damage? Here are the lens:

- SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm
- SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm
- Tokina SD 70-20mm 1:4-5.6
- Auto Sears MC zoom35-70mm 1:3.5
- Auto Sears 1.28 f=135mm

Are any of compatible? How are they in terms of quality? Please don't laugh to much at my Sears lens. At the time, it was the best I could afford.

Thanks.

10-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of those lenses will work just fine (as long as those non pentax lenses are K mount) with some limitations. Read the thread below for the limitations and also do a search for "ricoh pin" because those sears lenses might get stuck half way mounted.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

As for quality, the A and M lenses are pretty good and I cannot speak for the rest.
10-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Absolutely no problem with these:
- SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm
- SMC Pentax-M 1:2.8 28mm

The others should be fine as well, as long as they don't have a Ricoh pin. Ricoh also used the K mount, but added a pin which communicated aperture to Ricoh cameras. Your Tokina and Sears lenses might have the pin. Look for RK on the mount. When used on a Pentax with an autofocus screw drive like your Kx the Ricoh pin can get stuck in the autofocus hole. IF you have the pin and you may not, it is very easy to remove.

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

- Tokina SD 70-20mm 1:4-5.6
- Auto Sears MC zoom35-70mm 1:3.5
- Auto Sears 1.28 f=135mm

Be sure to check the beginner's forum for suggestions on using manual lenses on your Kx.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

The Sears lenses can be really nice. Check out the Sears Lens Club.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37525-sears-lens-club.html

Last edited by MikeW; 10-10-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: addition
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
You guys are awesome. I'm glad I asked before trying out the any of the lenses. I guess if I had installed one of the non Pentax lens and it had the Ricoh pin, my Kx body would have been toast!

I will check out the threads you suggested. Much appreciated.

Sears Lens Club??? Haven't looked at the link, but that's a joke, right?

10-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Herr Trigger Quote
Sears Lens Club??? Haven't looked at the link, but that's a joke, right?
No joke. We are a very clubby bunch. Probably springs from our natural congeniality.