Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Polarizer Filter and Adapters Help

Last week when I bought my K-x, I bought a Cokin 58mm polarizer filter to fit my 55-300mm lens and I bought a 58-52mm adapter so it could fit my 18-55mm lens. I hate the adapter because it basically gets stuck onto the polarizer. Twice I've tried to remove it and it won't untwist and then an hour later it comes off easy. It's also hard to attach to the 18-55mm lens and sometimes it comes off too easily. The 52mm thread on the adapter is so thin. Are all adapters like this? Should I return them to B&H and just get a 52mm polarizer instead? I'm also looking at buying an old lens with a 49mm thread, so it will stink having 3 filter thread sizes on my lenses.
I bought this adapter: B+W 52mm to 58mm Step-Up Ring (Lens to Filter) #5b 65069459 -
I don't understand why it has 5 stars.
Thanks for your help,
Kevin

10-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since metal filters and adapters are made from necessarily thin metals, when grasping them to unscrew them, you deform them enough to lock them in place. Polarizers are especially hard to unmount due to the rotating elements. One trick I have learned is to set them down flat on a non skid pad, such as those used to open jars, and use the flat palm of your hand to loosen them. There are also filter wrenches available that work on the same principle as old oil filter wrenches that apply even pressure all the way around the filter. Be patient and you will get the hang of it. All filters have the same problems, there is nothing wrong with your purchased items.
10-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree 100% with the first reply and would add from bitter experience that unfortunately step up and step down adapters have a nasty habit of getting stuck.

The problem is made worse by using a CPL as when you turn it you tend sometimes to unintentionally tighten the filter into the adapter. although more expensive it is better to get the correct size filter for each lens and not use an adapter,but cost wise I understand the route you went.
10-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kevin, I bought the exact same B+W step ring to use filters for the same two lenses.
In theory the 58mm ring fits inside the 18-55s lens hood, I tried it once and gave up.

Metal-metal contact can bind up if your not careful and I always leave them a little bit loose andjust be careful turning the CPL / NDgrad etc Gripping it tightly while tyring to remove it can make it more "out of round" and bind even worse.

Have you tried using a cable tie (zip tie) with the little locking tab cut out of it. It can grip quite tightly on the narrow fiter edge and keeps an even pressure on the filter so it stays "round". You can apply a reasonable torque to remove stuck filters much more than using your fingers.

I always carry one around as it takes up literally zero space in the camera bag.

10-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote

Have you tried using a cable tie (zip tie) with the little locking tab cut out of it. It can grip quite tightly on the narrow fiter edge and keeps an even pressure on the filter so it stays "round". You can apply a reasonable torque to remove stuck filters much more than using your fingers.

I always carry one around as it takes up literally zero space in the camera bag.
now that is a brilliant tip, fits any size compaired to filter grippers which tend to be sized.
10-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Before screwing a filter on, rub its threads in the groove where your nose meets your cheek; the waxy oil deposited will help when you later try to unscrew the filter.
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

And probably lead to fungus on the filter at some point too? If touching a lens or filter with your fingers can supposedly spread fungus than I would imagine this could too. Think about it. The nose area is always full of bacteria, fungus and goodness knows what else. The nose's job is to smell but also to filter the crap that goes into your lungs. Your nose and mouth area skin has countless bacteria and fungus spores on it all the time. I would not want that near anything that could go on a lens, seriously.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Before screwing a filter on, rub its threads in the groove where your nose meets your cheek; the waxy oil deposited will help when you later try to unscrew the filter.

10-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts:
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
And probably lead to fungus on the filter at some point too? If touching a lens or filter with your fingers can supposedly spread fungus than I would imagine this could too. Think about it. The nose area is always full of bacteria, fungus and goodness knows what else. The nose's job is to smell but also to filter the crap that goes into your lungs. Your nose and mouth area skin has countless bacteria and fungus spores on it all the time. I would not want that near anything that could go on a lens, seriously.
Good, quick, thinking, but I think you'll find that the fungi that inhabit one's face are not the same as those which love glass. Seriously.

I did not suggest rubbing a lens in one's nose. Rather I suggested touching filter threads beside one's nose.

Seriously,
Dave

PS billions of people-hours experience resting eyeglasses on their noses shows little risk of nose-glass fungus contamination. Perhaps there is a risk; if so, it is small.

Last edited by newarts; 10-13-2010 at 05:24 AM.
10-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

perhaps one of the non sicky lubricant sticks might also work, this comes to mind,
–Molykote® L-8008 Semi-Dry Lubricant is compatible with many plastics and elastomers and forms a non-sticky coating that can be used to lubricate sliding parts in cameras, audio-visual equipment, precision appliances and office equipment.
10-13-2010, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
perhaps one of the non sicky lubricant sticks might also work, this comes to mind,
–Molykote® L-8008 Semi-Dry Lubricant is compatible with many plastics and elastomers and forms a non-sticky coating that can be used to lubricate sliding parts in cameras, audio-visual equipment, precision appliances and office equipment.
That's a good approach, better than the face-oil trick, which I reserve for cases where there's no convenient alternative.

Dave
10-13-2010, 05:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Great tip. I used to use this to repair scratched negatives