Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #1

Preview taking a few seconds to appear

Hello all. Not sure if this is the right place. I have a Pentax K7. When I take photos using my Sigma 17-55 lens, the photo displays instantly on the Preview panel. When I use my Pentax 55-300mm lens in auto mode, same. But when I put it in "P" mode it takes about 3-4 seconds. Any hints?

10-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by akovach Quote
Hello all. Not sure if this is the right place. I have a Pentax K7. When I take photos using my Sigma 17-55 lens, the photo displays instantly on the Preview panel. When I use my Pentax 55-300mm lens in auto mode, same. But when I put it in "P" mode it takes about 3-4 seconds. Any hints?
Do you have distortion/chromatic aberration correction enabled?
10-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Is it possible you have lens corrections enabled?

Darned Americans, always faster with stuff...
10-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's a first, Wheatfield complimenting an American.

10-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That's a first, Wheatfield complimenting an American.

Are you sure he meant it as a compliment?
10-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't know where you guys get these ideas about me.
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akovach Quote
It is not usual, unless you have a lot of in-camera processing:
- lens correction distortion,
- high ISO correction,

The earlier posts pointed nicely that the likely culprit is the lens correction distortion, because only the Pentax Lenses are recognised by K-7/K-x bodies for lens distortion correction. Even if you select lens distortion correction, with the Sigma, the camera body does not recongise the sigma lens and will not apply the correction.

I may add that 3-4 s is a really long delay. With my K-7, the lens-distortion correction takes less: about 2 s.

Hope that the comment will help.
10-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Chaps. I'm going to have a play this weekend, so will let you know what comes of it. Maybe I should just re-set everything.

10-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you do re-set everything be sure to go through your options menu. Some corrections and adjustments might be turned on by default. Also if you turned on the copywrite info that will take extra time to load a preview.
10-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Is lens correction something that should be turnned on permenently?

On th K-x in the menu under 'Lens Correction' there are 2 boxes to tick... one labelled 'Distortion Correctin' and the other 'Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj'

If they don't need to be 'ticked' permenently... When is it appropriate to use them?
10-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Is lens correction something that should be turnned on permenently?

On th K-x in the menu under 'Lens Correction' there are 2 boxes to tick... one labelled 'Distortion Correctin' and the other 'Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj'

If they don't need to be 'ticked' permenently... When is it appropriate to use them?
Dave,

The corrections are relevant/important if you use a zoom lens that is known to havve some distortion. For example, my DA18-250mm is konw for distortions but this is normal considering the huge range of the zoom. On the other hand, a prime lens does not have typically any distortion: for example, my Voigtlander Nokton 58mm lens induces less then 0.1% distortion.

The main reason for my suggestion is lined with the time for the camera body to correct the shot. It is too long if you want to take quickly another shot in a dynamic situation.

I would recommend that you turn off both boxes.

You can always PP (post-process) the photographs with PDCU (Pentax Digital Utility Camera) or any PP softwares.

Hope that the comment will help.