Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tamron 17-50mm 1:2.8 & k-x in-camera corrections

After reading some encouraging (especially for the price) reviews for the Tamron 17-50mm 1:2.8 I decided to get one hoping to improve the odds for indoor shots without flash. This arrived yesterday, and the initial impressions are very favorable.

There seems to be a completely unexpected bonus, though: with my k-x I can turn on/off both the in-camera correction options for distortion and CA. I thought these were supposed to apply to Pentax DA lenses only. I suppose it would be possible for third-party lens to provide a set of correction parameters to the camera, but could this really be what is going on ... somehow this seems like one of those things that are a bit too nice to actually be true (?).

I guess I need keep my eyes open for a brick wall or somesuch to see whether anything worth mentioning really happens here (?).

P.S. @279 (shipping from UK to Finland included) I think this was somewhat of a deal too (?).

[ Being one I posted this under the newbie Q&A: I figured that this way I'd be more easily forgiven any faux pas I'm likely to commit :-) ]

10-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

The 17-50 is a very nice lens and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

I have the 17-50 as mentioned, as well as the 18-250 Tamron and both are enabled on my K-7 for CA and distortion correction. Not sure about the since of why or why not, but just piping in to let you know I have a similar experience, which may mean a host of other lenses may work as well for these features.

Jason
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Welcome to the forum!...

I have the 17-50 as mentioned, as well as the 18-250 Tamron and both are enabled on my K-7 for CA and distortion correction.
Jason
Hi Jason.
How can you be sure CA and distortion correction are working? Any sample images?

It would be handy if this were true.
10-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To all: the Pentax K-7/K-x bodies do not recognise the non-Pentax lens for lens distortion correction. Yes, you can select the lens distortion correction even if a non-Pentax lens is mounted, but the camera will not apply the processing/correction if you use a non-Pentax lens.

10-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
To all: the Pentax K-7/K-x bodies do not recognise the non-Pentax lens for lens distortion correction...
This is what I thought. Turning the options on or off makes no visible difference on my K-x when mounting the Tamron 17-50 2.8.

Still, it would have been nice if true. Would save me needing to apply lens profiles in LR3 for my RAW+ JPG's to fix up stuff like barrel distortion.
10-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took a couple of shots of a tiled wall with the Tamron 17-50 @17 and the 18-55 kit lens @18. Indeed, it seems that the distortion correction only actually gets rid of the barrel distortion with the kit lens. I still wonder this being available on the menu though (with apparently no effect): this is my first non-DA lens for which this seems to be the case. Then again, the only relatively modern one of my non-DAs is a full-frame Promaster (=Tamron) 28-105, the others are old enough to be MFs.

On a releated note: it seems that the correction only affects the .JPGs (which IMHO, makes sense as a raw file is supposed to be just that). My first impression was that the kit lens .DNG had been corrected as well, but the distortion was still there when I opened the .DNG with ufraw. Apparently the .DNGs, like some other raw formats, have an embedded .JPG which the first viewer (FastStone) shows by default (?)

Last edited by jolepp; 10-14-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo fix