Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please HELP !!!!

I have been asked to take photo's at a wedding, I have done plenty of these before but they have all been outside. I dont tend to take indoor photo's, love the outdoors too much.

This one is in a church and I'm confused as to what settings to have my Pentax K20D on to take the amazing shots. The wedding is on 23 Oct.

Can anyone please tell me what settings to use. The church is well lit.

I have already been told to use RAW (is this correct?)

Thanks heaps
Agnes

10-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Yes, use RAW . Mistakes in settings made by you at wedding re: white balance and exposure can be corrected and adjusted later. Angelo
10-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by artisticpurple Quote
I have been asked to take photo's at a wedding, I have done plenty of these before but they have all been outside. I dont tend to take indoor photo's, love the outdoors too much.

This one is in a church and I'm confused as to what settings to have my Pentax K20D on to take the amazing shots. The wedding is on 23 Oct.

Thanks heaps
Agnes
Use either a fast lens: f2.8 or faster, possibly a f1.7 or a f1.4 lens and/or use a flash. Good luck. Don't trust to luck.
10-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by artisticpurple Quote

Thanks heaps
Agnes
Tell us about your kit so we can better advise. I would be shooting RAW regardless of the event or situation. Even with a fast lens, also, I would be using a flash.

10-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If that church is nearby, arrange to go there and take test shots. Also ask if flash photography is allowed.
10-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #6

And i guess take multiple photos of important moments so you have where to choose "the one" from, try to see what aperture your lenses provide best results, determine the shutter speed you need inside (maybe you will have to add a monopod or tripod). That's my 2 cents experience i gathered so far in photo world, i hope something helps.
And to not forget, have fun taking pictures!
10-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I second that test shot scenario.
Also take somebody with you to take photos off.
If you are using a flash, get a diffusor.

- Bert
10-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Another note with regards to flash: check how well P-TTL works with the flash/K20D combo (if the flash has that option). Others can speak from experience here.

I recently made that mistake (was lazy and decided to use P-TTL instead of A on a K100D) and about all photos were underexposed by 3 or more stops

10-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I second that test shot scenario.
Also take somebody with you to take photos off.
If you are using a flash, get a diffusor.

- Bert
and practice ;practice ;practice; till taking the image with the camera is second nature and all you have to think about is the composition and is it in focus.

When you drive do you think about the gears , brakes and turning the wheel any more?
No?
So what do you think off?
I hope it is the road ahead, pedestrians, other vehicles any thing but the mechanical aspect of controling the car.
The same principle applies to high pressure events like sports, weddings ect.
Unlike landscape images where very often you can sit there all day and think how to get the best out out of the dozens of setting combinations available with your equipment as the day progresses and the light changes.
10-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Which lenses do you have?
10-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Do not use flash during the ceremony. It will ruin the shot with shadows and plain bad light.

The subjects are essentially motionless, so you are not having stopping action with a fast shutter speed.
10-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Do not use flash during the ceremony. It will ruin the shot with shadows and plain bad light.

The subjects are essentially motionless, so you are not having stopping action with a fast shutter speed.
Hum, well, it depends.
If there is not enough light, you may have to.
Depending upon the hight of the building you can flash indirect.
Mostly churches are too high for bounces...
In that case remote flash (with umbrella) is an option, but, if you do not have that a diffusor is the best thing to work with.

- Bert
10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Never shot a wedding... Kinda hope I never do...

Unfortunatly I have spent far too long in Churches! My old man is a vicar... he does weddings/baptisms/funerals regular and there's no way he'd allow flash photography in the Church let alone have some guy wave an umbrella or reflector around during a service!!
You really need to check this out... See if its OK with the Vicar/Priest at this particular Church... If its not... You need a backup idea sharpish... I imagine newly-weds looking at bum-wedding-photos get pretty angry, pretty quick!
Better you than me:-)
10-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

I would find a way to get out of it.

Shooting weddings suck.
10-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Inactive Account

What gear do you have? There's a LOT that goes into getting great indoor/low-light shots so being able to "take amazing shots" might not happen between now and October 23rd.