Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

UV filters - pic related:

Often UV filters are just another opportunity for retailers to milk a few extra bucks out of you. Rarely are they needed.

10-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mbellovin Quote
Again, thanks. I'll make a go first with the kit lens- I know I have a lot to learn! Starting with the nice photo seller who made me buy a UV filter for my camera- I forgot that they can degrade the image and I've been leaving it on.
All that said, there will be no harm in picking out a second lens after you have a few months' experience with the kit lens. And there is a lot to learn from a prime . . .
10-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah, I have the Tiffen. Dear me, now I have an excuse- wait til I take that thing off!!!
10-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mbellovin Quote
Ah, I have the Tiffen. Dear me, now I have an excuse- wait til I take that thing off!!!
Looks like we hit the nail on the head then.

I once left a Tiffen UV filter on a lens, and it ruined some (potentially) great shots of mine that were the product of several hours shooting in difficult conditions. Never again.

I never use UV filters from anyone anymore. Only if I were to be going to the beach or desert, or shooting a rally or something, might I consider putting one on.

10-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's harder to shoot in Boynton than Coral Springs, but easier than Israel.
10-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Several quick observations:

- for easy (or extreme) wide angle without a wide angle lens, panorama or 'stitching' software, as others have suggested, is an excellent solution. I find the free Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) is EXCELLENT for this:
Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)
Just downloaded and tried the Microsoft Research Image Compositor Editor, and it is great! Almost bought photoshop this week for this stitching function as I have found all other free software to be too time consuming. ICE does the job well. Thanks for the tip!
10-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vote4Pedro Quote
Just downloaded and tried the Microsoft Research Image Compositor Editor, and it is great! Almost bought photoshop this week for this stitching function as I have found all other free software to be too time consuming. ICE does the job well. Thanks for the tip!
Hooray! Ft. Lauderdale!

Please sign up--and the OP too:

Florida Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com

Once you do, it will appear at the bottom of your main Forums window under "Your Social Groups."