Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #16

Self Timer in the HDR mode

Hi, fellows
I'm new and happy user of K-x, but already starting to ask stupid questions.
Maybe somebody knows why Self Timer is disabled in the HDR mode?
After all, to reduce vibration when shooting HDR, it seems logical to allow it, is not it?
Best regards

10-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ark747 Quote
Hi, fellows
I'm new and happy user of K-x, but already starting to ask stupid questions.
Maybe somebody knows why Self Timer is disabled in the HDR mode?
After all, to reduce vibration when shooting HDR, it seems logical to allow it, is not it?
Best regards
I do not have the Kx, but on my K100 the 2 second delay function was on the same selection menu, and you are only able to select any one item of the group at a time. I see that Pentax essentially did the same thing on the Kx. That is unfortunate and I really do not know a workaround - other than a steady tripod and manually set the aperture (or exposure time) taking 3 individual frames (outside of the bracketing mode) and hope for the best.

That was one of the reasons for upgrading to the K20 for me. I used the K100 for several years and still have it (and really like it), however this and a couple of other "features" were annoying. The only reason for this I can tell is to differentiate the models.

10-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #18
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
B&H Photo, Adorama, TriState, Cameta Camera (ebay), I've dealt with all of them and have nothing but positive to say on any of them.

You forgot to mention that ordering from Adorama (via the Adorama link below) helps with the running costs of this forum!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
HelenO@adorama.com
10-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I also got the Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, Manual Air Blower with Extra-Large Rubber Bulb - 7.5" Long from Adorama $9.99 shipped.
+1

Good suggestion, that's something I forgot...

10-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So I finally got the camera in and barely got to play with it. The lighting was pretty awful yesterday as it was dark out and the lights in the house were a terrible source for lighting.

And again I have questions. LOL.

I read through the manual and I'm not sure I'm using RAW right. I switched it to DNG (over from PEF) as I was told it would be easier to recognize in programs. When I download the images to Bridge, the editing options pop up, which is fine, but once it opens up in Photoshop (after I play with the sliders), it says its a 8-bit RGB file. So my concern is am I shooting in 8-bit color RAW or is some conversion occurring at some point that I don't know about? My understanding was it should be > 8-bit until you do the JPEG conversion yourself (i.e. once you do the "Save As..." in Photoshop) . Just want to make sure there isn't some setting I have on/off:

A) on my camera
B) in Bridge
C) Photoshop

Again I had never done it before yesterday so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok, I think I might've found it. The blue underlined profile underneath the preview was clickable. I switched it to sRGB (to match the camera) and changed it to 16-bit color. The leaves on the ground really popped after that, so I THINK I fixed it.

Last edited by mrmp3; 10-19-2010 at 12:57 PM.
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmp3 Quote
I switched it to sRGB (to match the camera)
Most settings on the camera, like aRGB or sRGB or eg white balance only effect the JPEGS on camera. Depending on the raw development program used, it copies some camera settings to initialise the raw development parameters, but the raw data itself is unchanged.

So you do never need to match camera settings to handle the raw properly. Selecting sRGB as color space (if you want to create JPEGS for general distribution) and changing to 16 bit (allthough not critical in most workflows) are indeed the right steps.
10-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
You forgot to mention that ordering from Adorama (via the Adorama link below) helps with the running costs of this forum!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
HelenO@adorama.com

When Adorama can put a K5 in my hands as they did my K7, I'll be happy to use the pentaxforums link to order it. I'm keeping an eye on it.