Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Pentax P 3 crank stuck in place

I just bought a pentax p 3 camera on ebay and put in film and a new battery.The shutter will not fire ( push down ) so that the The forward - the - film crank does not not move. I used to use a Pentak K 1000 in the past and as recently as 2007 or 2008 in a film class - so I'm not unfamiliar with these types of cameras - so I don't know what is wrong. The camera was stored away and was inside the case which smells a bit moldy but otherwise the camera and case look very new. I hope someone might know how to fix the problem. Thanks !

Last edited by Beverly; 10-18-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: left out the part about the shutter not firing
10-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than an actual camera error (jammed advance) the only thing I can think of is most 35mm SLRs will not advance if the Shutter is set. You say you loaded Film so did it work then? You do know this camera takes 2 (Two) batteries, Yes? Did you put them in properly?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...ax-p3-p30.html

10-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a serendiptious moment. I've been working on a "non-working" P3 I obtained on the bay to get the lens. I've discovered that the batteries go "upside down". Yep, facing the camera bottom insert batts + down into the camera. The neg up to meet the cover. In fact the cover has the (-) sign on it. I thought this takes some research on the net and stumbled onto this thread. So I have a working camera. Sort of.

The LED's light up AFTER you fire the shutter. I looked at my P3n and The LED's are showing with the shutter half way pressed. I took the batts out of the P3n and tested on the P3. The lights came on but not for long and when the shutter fired the sights were on again. Strange.

Beverly, be sure the film leader is on the red mark on the right side. Close the door and advance the film fire/ advance and fire twice to take up slack and create tension - the crank should start to move. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I just wasted a test roll of 12 exp trying to figure this one out. Good Luck and welcome to the board.
10-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
This is a serendiptious moment. I've been working on a "non-working" P3 I obtained on the bay to get the lens. I've discovered that the batteries go "upside down". Yep, facing the camera bottom insert batts + down into the camera. The neg up to meet the cover. In fact the cover has the (-) sign on it. I thought this takes some research on the net and stumbled onto this thread. So I have a working camera. Sort of.

The LED's light up AFTER you fire the shutter. I looked at my P3n and The LED's are showing with the shutter half way pressed. I took the batts out of the P3n and tested on the P3. The lights came on but not for long and when the shutter fired the sights were on again. Strange.

Beverly, be sure the film leader is on the red mark on the right side. Close the door and advance the film fire/ advance and fire twice to take up slack and create tension - the crank should start to move. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I just wasted a test roll of 12 exp trying to figure this one out. Good Luck and welcome to the board.
The shutter - button that you push to take the picture - will not fire, making it possible to forward the crank.

03-29-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
WSB

Any solutions to this problem found ?9
03-29-2024, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WSB Quote
Any solutions to this problem found ?9
Hi, welcome to PentaxForums! Might be more useful to start a new thread describing your problem/issues, this thread is 14 years old.