Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by II Akcay Quote
I'm having the same issue on my K-x constantly, on more than on Sandisk 1, 4 and 8 gb cards. I almost always take pix that my PC just says can't view file etc... I'm def no expert, but I know i've taken these photos... and they just dissapear it seems
Are you sure it is the same issue where the files haves completely vanished as opposed to being there but cannot be viewed?

10-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Yet another related consideration: even you don't actively do anything that should result in write operations on a card when reading pictures from it this could still happen, if the computer is infected with the kind of nastyware that spreads via memory cards. To spread this sort of thing would try to copy (=write) itself on any card that was inserted.
10-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #33

Last weekend, I've had a similar issue with my 4 months old K-x.
I was in Paris for 2 days and took lots of shots. First day without a problem.
Second day, early in the morning I took some new ones. I always review them when I take a picture, and there didn't seem any problem.
But at a point I noticed the camera showed only the last 5 pictures of that day (I already took 20 or so), and then the ones of the day before.

I retook the same pics (sort of), and 2 minutes later, I could only see the ones I took the first day... All the pictures of the 2nd day were gone.

I exchanged the memory card with the one from my girlfriends camera, and took some pics. She took some with my memory card in her camera.
The problem didn't seem to repeat itself.
We exchanged cards again, and everything seemed ok; except for the lost pictures...

So on the memory card there are 4 directory's:
100_2310 (pictures of the first day)
101_2410 (empty)
102_PANA (pictures taken with other camera)
103_2410 (pictures taken the second day with my camera)

I coudn't retrieve any pictures with recovery programs...

Could be the memory card; I don't know. Or maybe a bug in the camera after all...?
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heinreyn Quote
Last weekend, I've had a similar issue with my 4 months old K-x.
I was in Paris for 2 days and took lots of shots. First day without a problem.
Second day, early in the morning I took some new ones. I always review them when I take a picture, and there didn't seem any problem.
But at a point I noticed the camera showed only the last 5 pictures of that day (I already took 20 or so), and then the ones of the day before.

I retook the same pics (sort of), and 2 minutes later, I could only see the ones I took the first day... All the pictures of the 2nd day were gone.

I exchanged the memory card with the one from my girlfriends camera, and took some pics. She took some with my memory card in her camera.
The problem didn't seem to repeat itself.
We exchanged cards again, and everything seemed ok; except for the lost pictures...

So on the memory card there are 4 directory's:
100_2310 (pictures of the first day)
101_2410 (empty)
102_PANA (pictures taken with other camera)
103_2410 (pictures taken the second day with my camera)

I coudn't retrieve any pictures with recovery programs...

Could be the memory card; I don't know. Or maybe a bug in the camera after all...?
This experience does appear to be similar to mine. The folder was there but there were no pictures in it and my attempts to recover the data seemed futile. I reformatted the card in the K-x and there has not as yet been a repetition. I filled the card for the first time over this last weekend, no problems yet. It's still my only large capacity card but I intend to get at least one other. Taking a lot of shots and a few videos it's not hard to fill a card in a day or two. I found myself reviewing photos and deleting dozens using the camera's GUI to restore some capacity. Also depleted my batteries, and was glad I had extras in my pocket.

10-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the moment that you notice problems that might relate to the memory card, stop using it and use your spare card.

By taking new pictures, data might be overwritten making it far more difficult for recovery software to recover.
11-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
At the moment that you notice problems that might relate to the memory card, stop using it and use your spare card.

By taking new pictures, data might be overwritten making it far more difficult for recovery software to recover.
It would also seem like a good idea to put the write protect tab to the read-only position until contents are copied/recovered/deemed lost to avoid doing this by accident. After this it would be a good to test the card before using it again for anything critical. If it is to be used in the camera it should be formatted in the camera to avoid trouble down the line.

Actually, I'm in the habit of formatting a card instead of a "delete all" e.g. after coping the contents to the computer. This makes sure the camera gets to use a mint file system matching its idea of a proper FAT implementation.