Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newish K-x, took photos but they aren't there!

Got end of July, no problems until now. I just received my first prime (Pentax-A f1.7 50mm), cleaned it up, put it on my K-x and took a couple dozen shots. They looked fine when I reviewed a few after taking. I copied the folder to my laptop and the folder is empty! I put the card back in the camera and it says "No Image" when I hit the > review button. I had put the 8GB memory card in the laptop, changed the name of the folder, looked in it and it was empty. What do you suppose is going on?

10-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Somehow a computer glitch (or you) erased the card when you accessed it on the computer. Or the card developed a fault. Try again, it can't be the lens causing it!
10-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Maybe I forgot to turn off the camera before removing the card. Would that account for this?
10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Somehow a computer glitch (or you) erased the card when you accessed it on the computer. Or the card developed a fault. Try again, it can't be the lens causing it!
Yeah, I knew it wasn't the lens. Well, I took some more shots with the same card. This time I didn't change the name of the folder on the card before copying the folder to this laptop, the shots are there. Weird. I wouldn't think that changing the name of the folder on the card (while in the laptop card reader) would have any effect. Well, it shouldn't. Don't know how I could have inadvertently erased the card. Is there a button or combo in the K-x that would do that?

10-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

I agree, changing the name of the folder shouldn't make the images disappear. However, I never change anything on my cards from the computer just to be safe. Except, of course, when I have to upgrade the camera's firmware...
10-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I agree, changing the name of the folder shouldn't make the images disappear. However, I never change anything on my cards from the computer just to be safe. Except, of course, when I have to upgrade the camera's firmware...
I think I'll play it safe from now on. The shots were pretty much test shots, nothing special but even so, I am miffed they disappeared. Very strange.
10-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do a search in your computer(on the full drive) . If you save them in JPEG search with the extension. jpg or if you save them on .PEF

10-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Do a search in your computer(on the full drive) . If you save them in JPEG search with the extension. jpg or if you save them on .PEF
At your suggestion, I just did:

IMGP1443.jpg <-----> IMGP1464.jpg

Everything between these two files is missing, 21 shots in all. Disappeared. Oblivion.
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
Maybe I forgot to turn off the camera before removing the card. Would that account for this?
I would suspect this has something to do with the error.
10-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is the drive space missing? 21 pictures in jpeg format should be approximately 60mb. Check to see if that space is there, if it is, then so are your pics, if not then your pics are gone.

Taking out the card before turning off the camera should have not affect on the card.

What kind of card is it? The brand matters. A lot of people that buy cheap ones or knock offs have had the same problem. I always buy from a reputable dealer and only good cards.
10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

At your suggestion, I just did:

IMGP1443.jpg <-----> IMGP1464.jpg

Everything between these two files is missing, 21 shots in all. Disappeared. Oblivion.
Then do a search for ALL files in a given time frame. That is, if you know the time and date you did the transfer, go an hour or so on each side of that, and search the entire drive.

10-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
Forum Member

I once did this without realising. My computer could read the files just fine but when I put it back in the camera it couldn't read the card and required a reformat.
10-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Is the drive space missing? 21 pictures in jpeg format should be approximately 60mb. Check to see if that space is there, if it is, then so are your pics, if not then your pics are gone.

Taking out the card before turning off the camera should have not affect on the card.

What kind of card is it? The brand matters. A lot of people that buy cheap ones or knock offs have had the same problem. I always buy from a reputable dealer and only good cards.
Yes, it was cheap:

PQI 150X 8GB SDHC, cost me about $19 shipped, IIRC, from Supermediastore.com. It's supposed to be Class 10.

I ran Freeundelete on the card and it didn't find the lost files. I should have run it right away instead of after doing some things, it might have found them. I've retrieved deleted files in the past using that utility.

Actually the 21 missing JPGs at 5.5MB/file would be around 115.5 MB. The card's about 1/2 full, don't know how I'd determine if the space is missing.

Last edited by Muse; 10-15-2010 at 06:39 AM.
10-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I suppose the prudent thing to do is reformat the card in the camera at this point.
10-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, it was cheap:

PQI 150X 8GB SDHC, cost me about $19 shipped, IIRC, from Supermediastore.com. It's supposed to be Class 10.

I ran Freeundelete on the card and it didn't find the lost files. I should have run it right away instead of after doing some things, it might have found them. I've retrieved deleted files in the past using that utility.

Actually the 21 missing JPGs at 5.5MB/file would be around 115.5 MB. The card's about 1/2 full, don't know how I'd determine if the space is missing.
Yeah, if the card is 1/2 full it would be pretty hard to determine if 115mb worth of space is there or not.

There is a program that I use called Tune Up Utilities that has a deleted file recovery program. It works great for me.