Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
That's basically wrong. Your printer and screen (some can, but they cost quite a few thousands $) can't reproduce the full aRGB spectrum. You should work with sRGB when working with consumer printers and screen. Working with aRGB and ooutputing in sRGB ends up with dull looking pictures.
I suppose it depends what you do that works for you so only you know best, however, its not what the printer supplier [Epsom 2880] , paper suppliers and ink suppliers I use tell me.
Further there is a very marked difference in the colours when using a aRGB colour space all the way through or at least in my case there is.

10-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Well, ok. So its my monitor. And i'm not looking at the histogram correctly. What should i be looking for, and how do i calibrate my monitor?

EDIT: ok, so upon further investigation i noticed that when looking at the monitor at a lower angle the image looks like the photo printed, so i messed with the contrast and brightness settings until the printed image and my screen match up.
You are using a TFT LCD, that's why the brightness changes due to different viewing angles. IPS LCDs are best for photo-editing. To properly calibrating the monitor, you will need some hardware solution like i1D2 or Spyder3 etc. There is simply no other way if you want accuracy.
10-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Further there is a very marked difference in the colours when using a aRGB colour space all the way through or at least in my case there is.
There should be a difference. Your screen can't show the full aRGB spectrum, and your printer can show slightly more than your screen. When you're processing your pictures in aRGB, you lose quite a bit in the dark blue and deep red end, so your pictures are going to look lighter than sRGB, but they won't look better than what you could get with sRGB and a good calibrated screen and printer.
10-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
Well, ok. So its my monitor. And i'm not looking at the histogram correctly. What should i be looking for, and how do i calibrate my monitor?

EDIT: ok, so upon further investigation i noticed that when looking at the monitor at a lower angle the image looks like the photo printed, so i messed with the contrast and brightness settings until the printed image and my screen match up.
Here are a couple free online calibration aids. I use the first one.

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

Display Calibration - DisplayCalibration.com - Calibrate your computer display or monitor online for optimal viewing. Brightness, contrast, color depth, resolution and freeware software downloads.

Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool