Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 Live view battery + recording video

I have read these threads (1 & 2)but didnīt get my answer to my questions.

I donīt use the LV so much and if I do so I also have to have the origianl Pentax battery just charged, unless the camera is shutting down. I do know it take a lot of battery the LV but shouldnīt it manage to work even with some of the battery used? (Or donīt I understand...? )

I canīt either video film for more than 30 seconds. Is there some settings anywhere, to check so I could film as I read up to 10 minutes?
I use for example SD HC card 8GB/6speed.

Thanx in advance!

10-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #2

I don't use LV and video too often but here is my understanding:
- LV should work if the battery is reasonably charged. The battery does not have to be 100% full.
- The possible reasons for the limited video recording time might be a) not enough battery power or b) the memory card being too slow.
10-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
HeG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ilan Quote
I don't use LV and video too often but here is my understanding:
- LV should work if the battery is reasonably charged. The battery does not have to be 100% full.
- The possible reasons for the limited video recording time might be a) not enough battery power or b) the memory card being too slow.
Hmm... I have full battery and what I know is my card (Kingston) fast enough, or should be . So neither of those is my problem what I understand. Or?
10-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #4

Sounds like a bad battery. How many exposures can you take with it before having to recharge?(mine can manage around 500+, and can be left and picked up days later with a good charge).

You mention "6 speed", I assume this is a "Class 6" card (slightly different I think), which is really the minimum to use if shooting video.

10-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view really does suck up the battery power. Your video recording time could be the battery, but very likely it's your card. And even if it's desginated a Class 6, not all class 6's are creately equally.
10-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
HeG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mike_lambert Quote
Sounds like a bad battery. How many exposures can you take with it before having to recharge?(mine can manage around 500+, and can be left and picked up days later with a good charge).

You mention "6 speed", I assume this is a "Class 6" card (slightly different I think), which is really the minimum to use if shooting video.
I have to admit I havenīt been photoing so much with the K7 (and also I havenīt had the K7 so long), so I canīt say how many exposures I can take.
I do know I have for a long time battery when Iīm taking photos, but not when I try to use the viewfinder (used it one day and then one-two weeks later with good battery).

You are so right, I did mean class 6. What card should I use for shooting video then? And shouldnīt a 8Gb take a little bit longer videos than 30 seconds?
10-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

8gb only says how much room you have on the card. Yes it CAN hold longer vids, but you are limited by the speed with which the card can write the data. With slower cards, you fill the buffer and the camera has to stop recording in order for the card to catch up basically. The camera is accumulating data faster than the card can record it. A faster-writing card will allow you to record longer before it stops to catch up.
10-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

If you can make several 30 second recordings, then it is most likely a write problem with the card.
If the camera gives a "low battery/ insufficient power" indication then it obviously is a battery or charger issue.

Try leaving live-view on while not in movie mode, see how long it takes before shut-down.
Being in Finland, sensor overheating should not be a big problem.

10-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
HeG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
8gb only says how much room you have on the card. Yes it CAN hold longer vids, but you are limited by the speed with which the card can write the data. With slower cards, you fill the buffer and the camera has to stop recording in order for the card to catch up basically. The camera is accumulating data faster than the card can record it. A faster-writing card will allow you to record longer before it stops to catch up.
What kind of card should I buy to get longer videos?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
If you can make several 30 second recordings, then it is most likely a write problem with the card.
If the camera gives a "low battery/ insufficient power" indication then it obviously is a battery or charger issue.

Try leaving live-view on while not in movie mode, see how long it takes before shut-down.
Being in Finland, sensor overheating should not be a big problem.
I can make several 30 seconds recordings. I have to try that, because it differes from time to time how long it take (not in movie mode).

It is not now a problem, last summer it could have been.
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Sounds like a card problem, can you try an other card, just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

I use San-Disk Extreme 16Gb class 10 card. My K7 will shut down with sensor over-temperature before running out of buffer/write speed or batteries.

p.s. 10 minutes is a long time to shoot. I would not be surprised if the sensor got too hot before making that mark. Unless outside at night in January.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-20-2010 at 03:39 PM.