Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please advise...Flash broken...

I've been asked to shoot an event this Friday evening (por gratis- I am very much an amateur), but yesterday my son dropped my camera/flash. Fortunately, the only thing that broke was a piece of plastic on the AF280T, but it's the piece that slides into the flash shoe, so the flash won't mount on the camera.
First, I can see that this piece can be removed but I don't know if the piece is available for purchase.
Secondly, I also have a AF220T, but haven't had success in getting anything except just manually adjusting everything until the photo comes out. Is there a way to make the 220 work with my k100 more automatically??
or should I just try to buy a new/used flash really quickly on a VERY limited budget?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Last edited by Heritage; 10-17-2010 at 05:43 PM.
10-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I do not know anything about the AF220. But if you have all of the pieces is there any chance of epoxying it back together? Might work to get you through this shoot. I seriously doubt that the piece will be available for sale separately.

Another thought, is it possible to use the AF280 in slave mode using the pop-up flash on the camera to trigger?

Any chance the AF220 piece will fit onto the AF280? Not familiar with what they look like but it is possible if all you need is the plastic shoe.
10-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I was informed that the bit was designed to be plastic so that it can break off due to impact, but leave your flash intact. I am not sure about Pentax flashes, but I read that this is the case with Metz flashes, and you can buy replacement plastic mounts very cheaply.
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, I looked at the 220 hot shoe mount and it is enough different that I don't think it will work on the AF280T, I looked at US Camera online and they didn't seem to carry the shoe mount for the 280. I think I will try some epoxy as I was able to find the broken piece.

As an aside, I put the 220 on the camera and put everything in Auto mode and it seemed to work satisfactorily though not stellar, but I think I can get by with it in a pinch.

Thanks Jatrax and Orangepeel for your input!

10-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

You might check ebay for a parts unit. Aside from that or rigging something, I think your son just gave you an excuse to buy a new flash. If you have any money left afterwords, buy him an ice cream cone

Good luck.

10-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
update

Thanks for the input. I ended up calling Pentax parts and they have the bayonet mount for $10! I ordered it and had it in 3 days. Good customer service! I was able to have the flash back up and working for last night's event!