Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #1

Where to buy k-x

I've checked the sponsors here and the marketplace. I'm wanting a k-x (w/kit lense). Gently used or new. My budget is very, very small. I found one here in my budget, but it was sold.
Where would you buy such?

10-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A new K-x kit is dirt cheap (cheapest at BH), so I'd recommend looking there. If that's too expensive, then post a wanted thread for the marketplace.
10-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Best bet is to keep an eye in the marketplace here, or check E-Bay, just make sure if you go the E-Bay route, to make sure you get someone with lots of positive feedback.
10-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've learned my lesson, thankfully without wasting any money. I found the camera body I wanted at a very cheap price at an online store I'd never heard of and placed the order. After a couple of days, I got an email asking me to call them. Once on the phone, they high-pressured me to order other things, and I found out during the process that the body was stripped down and didn't include many of the items normally included in a package, things like a battery, charger and other things needed to be able to shoot. By the time I added all these necessary things, the price would have been more than buying it complete from Adorama or B&H. I cancelled the order. Lesson #1.
A few days later, I found another "great deal," placed the order, and a couple of days later I got an email asking me to call for "credit security reason." Same game. I cancelled that order as well. Lesson #2.
Stick with B&H, Adorama or some other reputable dealer.

10-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Was it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I've learned my lesson, thankfully without wasting any money. I found the camera body I wanted at a very cheap price at an online store I'd never heard of and placed the order. After a couple of days, I got an email asking me to call them. Once on the phone, they high-pressured me to order other things, and I found out during the process that the body was stripped down and didn't include many of the items normally included in a package, things like a battery, charger and other things needed to be able to shoot. By the time I added all these necessary things, the price would have been more than buying it complete from Adorama or B&H. I cancelled the order. Lesson #1.
A few days later, I found another "great deal," placed the order, and a couple of days later I got an email asking me to call for "credit security reason." Same game. I cancelled that order as well. Lesson #2.
I can't afford the cameras at these places, and they don't have any used/refurb. I did find a refurb at Quick Stop Digital. Was this one of the companies with which you had a problem. I do intend to call and get a feel for them, prior to ordering.
10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Ron, I think I know what places you might be referring too. I did a Nextag search for the K-X and this site FumFie popped up, with an amazing price of $469 (w/ kit lens), USA Model, and free shipping (no tax as well if I'm not mistaken). Anyways, I went to reselleratings and they had a respectable 8.14 . However, and I'm not sure what made me do it, but I sorted by all the one star reviews. Everyone had the same story as you had (I believe it was called "the bait and switch") so I figured I'd wait till I had more money and buy it from somewhere else.

I instead bought it at Best Buy online and used my credit card. LOL. It was cheaper at other places (they had two lens kit for $800 last week) but w/ credit card it's 36 months no interest so I decided to get it from there.
10-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

It's always worth going to Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores to check out the customer feedback and ratings of any retailer that is unknown to you, before you place an order.

10-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think your best bet would be getting one sencond hand from a private seller with good feedback trough Ebay, or the marketplace here. My experience is that on Ebay the real auctions usually end with the best prices for the buyer, while buy-it-nows give you an idea of how high you'll want to go with your offer. I wish you good luck, and patience (the mother of good deals on Ebay). A k-x with the 18-55 kit lens compares favorably with the more expensive offerings of the bigger brands, and having one myself I can highly recommend it.
10-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
Got one...maybe

I ordered a K-7 during the "fire sale" yesterday. I've yet to receive a cancellation email, but my order is still pending. We'll see. If that fails, I'll go back to being patient.
Thanks for the tip on the resellers site.
10-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #10

Original Poster
Back to being patient and so very disappointed. I'm going to check a out Quick Stop Digital. Their price is affordable. But, I'll go take an ebay look again. Thanks for the tips.
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
Anyone know about QuickStopDigitals. I don't see any reviews on them. And, don't want to meet disappointment again so soon.
10-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

> QuickStopDigitals

I don't know anything about them except that they don't give their street address on the web site or at least it is hard to find. That is a red flag.
10-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by squigglytwigs Quote
Back to being patient and so very disappointed. I'm going to check a out Quick Stop Digital. Their price is affordable. But, I'll go take an ebay look again. Thanks for the tips.
You may want to check this, sometimes they have very good deals on returned items .

Pentax | Warehouse Deals
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all. I just found quickstopdigital on ebay. 100% feedback w/good comments. I'm going ahead and buying from them.
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by squigglytwigs Quote
Thank you all. I just found quickstopdigital on ebay. 100% feedback w/good comments. I'm going ahead and buying from them.
Things you need to know before buying are if the item is covered with USA warranty (to know that you won't get a gray maket item) and their store's return policy (in case you get a defective unit) .