Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Give me settings to try (new to photography)

I just got my Kx today! am going out tomorrow and taking photos all day long.
I will learn as I go, but i really dont want to use the auto pic mode too much...

Just throw out some good outdoor, sunlight settings to use! I wont be taking photos of moving objects at all...

also I REALLY need help with the best video settings, I dont care about HD just some nice settings for videos maybe of people? and how to set that up (it looked confusing)

anyway If u can suggest something I would love to post the results . thanks for reading!

10-19-2010, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #2

I am assuming you have the 18-55 kit lens. Try in M mode, F16, ISO 100, 1/100 shutter speed, This setting is called the sunny rule of 16.
It will give you blue skies. More blue, F18 or F22

If you want to blow out the background, zoom out to 55, then focus, then make a separation between subject and background and you will blow out the background. Cool effect.

If its sunny outside, you will probably have ISO 100(best picture quality)
If you move indoors, you will need minimum ISO 800 (good image quality for indoors)

Stop down your aperture to 5.6(from 3.5) for optimal performance on your kit lens.

In M mode, you want the perfect exposure, press the green-button, next to the shutter, its like a cheater button. It will give the perfect exposure.

lets say that your taking a picture of a person in a sunny day, expose for the forehead(or brightest point for that matter)(green button) so you don't blow out any details, or highlights.

Use your focus points, use the center point and move it to one of the places like the rule of thirds, google it. It makes for a more interesting picture.

Add a little bit of a tilt when taking a picture, it makes it more dynamic, charged, and has energy.

Shoot from the floor, shoot from the waist, shoot from a high point

Look for the light, quality of light, soft lighting, hard lighting,

Indoors settings, ISO 800, 3.5, shutter speed 1/50

Sorry, I gave you too much homework...
10-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! I love my kx. I take it with me wherever I go. I recommend visiting the digital photography school website. Check out their articles on composition, the exposure triangle, and lighting. That will be a very good start. And then practice practice practice. Enjoy it! The kx is a great tool.
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Put it on P and check the settings in the viewfinder. That is the starting point. You can use other modes if you want.

The image shows on the back of the camera, so you can check the settings yourself.

10-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Put it on P and check the settings in the viewfinder. That is the starting point. You can use other modes if you want.

The image shows on the back of the camera, so you can check the settings yourself.
+1
There are some simple camera setting that you shoud do first and will help.

- Start using the P mode (dial mode P).

- Use centre focus. More intuitive for beginners, and the preferred setting of many experienced photographers.

- Set AF-S.

- Select the photograph file format: RAW is the 'best' for the professionals but the file size is huge. You may start with JPEG: for example, JPEG 6 Mp [***] when each shot will be about 2 Mb.

- Get a good SD card. If you can afofrd get an Sandisk Extreme III 8Gb or more

- Learn to tranfer your photos to the computer.

- Learn to do some basic PP. Pentax Digital Camera Utility is not abad program and you could start with it. Very often, most photographs will look better after some very basic, simple PP.

Then enjoy your camera.

In the longer term, you may consider to invest in some "good glass": that is, some better lenses. They are worth their investment value....
10-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback I couldent Find the old sd card I had so I couldent go out and do photos yesterday but you can bet I will today, I ended up getting a Sandisk ultra 8gb .

Ill get another later If that one dosent work out,

quick question......

I got that Pentax SMCP-A 50mm f/2.0 Lens

and...

When I connected It I had to choose a mm so I picked 50mm

and It only works on the cam If the top ring is all the way to AL (F20) and theres no zoom what so ever...

err umm did I do something wrong?
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
thanks for the feedback I couldent Find the old sd card I had so I couldent go out and do photos yesterday but you can bet I will today, I ended up getting a Sandisk ultra 8gb .

Ill get another later If that one dosent work out,

quick question......

I got that Pentax SMCP-A 50mm f/2.0 Lens

and...

When I connected It I had to choose a mm so I picked 50mm

and It only works on the cam If the top ring is all the way to AL (F20) and theres no zoom what so ever...

That's probably f22.. You need to set it to A by pressing the button on the aperture ring and twisting the ring past the f22 to A. Otherwise, the lens will not work unless you tell the camera to use that type of lens. To do so, go into your custom menu and find the setting that says 'using aperture ring' and set it to Permitted. Even then, unless the lens is on A, your aperture will show on the display as F-- and will say 0 (zero) in your exif information.

10-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #8

dont try to do to much & keep it simple.

learn about aperture & depth of field. set your camera to av mode. this allows you to change the aperture whilst the camera works out the shutter speed.

using your 50mm lens f2 is wide open (lets most light in) f22 is the fully stopped down (least light)

f2 creates a narrow depth of field so whatever you focus on should be seperated by the blurred out of focus backgrounds. ideal for portraits.

f22 will put nearly the whole field of view in focus... think landscapes.

as a practise line up a stack of pencils on a table focus on the first pencil and snap. take a picture at f2 then f22.

once you see the difference you will be well on your way to getting creative with your photos.

oh & have fun :-)

10-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
nvm i posted the same problem on another topic thanks for the help anyway...

also, whats a good setting for that 50mm F/2.0 for taking very low light creepy looking photos inside, in lets say a bath room?

The cam will be sat down so shake isent a problem
10-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
oh I cant set it to f22. the cam wont take photos less its set to A regardless what mode am in
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #11

ok A mode lets you adjust the aperture via the camera. when you are in av mode the dial on the rear of the camera on the top right corner changes the aperture setting. it is set like this so your finger presses the shutter button whilst your thumn can move the dial...
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

no zoom what so ever...

Your feet are your zoom.
10-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #13

Original Poster
I dident really expect a zoom I just thought It was odd I couldent take any photos less the ring was set to A
10-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I dident really expect a zoom I just thought It was odd I couldent take any photos less the ring was set to A
Page 284 of your manual.

10-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
I just noticed....I cannot lower iso lower then 400