Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The spirit of a photographer

Hi guys,

I want to get the camera and go out there and shoot, but as soon as i go actually somewhere i feel a bit akward in start shooting...
In end i just end in places where there arent any other people and where i feel more comfortable...

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just my weird self?

10-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Takes a long time to get over this. At least it did for me.

What you have to do is become kind of a psychopath about it. Don't worry about everyone else there; in the end they won't remember that they saw someone in the park or wherever taking pictures. Now I have no problem with pulling out my camera and photographing something in public. I still have some anxiety about it, but I realized how ridiculous it was for me to miss a photograph because I was scared to be seen with my camera.

The most difficult thing to get over, and something I still struggle with, is asking another human for their photograph.
10-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
OK, at least i know that also someone else felt this way! Because i thought that only myself is like this....
10-19-2010, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I happens to me. Often.
I let numerous excellent street frames go by simply because people were part of them (unfortunately, most often people make a street shot interesting). I might have an exaggerated sense of privacy. This summer, however, I took some pics in a crowded market in a small Romanian town, and people (locals selling agro-goods) were rather happy about my action. They thought I was filming for a TV channel) -- what impact a zoom like my DA 16-45mm can have in some parts of the world.
On the other hand, I was taking a pic of a square in Bruxelles in June, and a guy dressed like a Russian mobster came straight to me shouting that I wasn't allowed to photograph people. Because the DA 16-45mm extends a lot at smaller focal lengths, he thought I was zooming on his probably illegal dealings... He wouldn't let me leave without first deleting the pics. I was quite scared, and it took a lot of work to convince him that he wasn't in any of my pics.
But there is a way around a photographer's shyness or scruples... It's called "DA 55-300mm" or "any 135mm prime"--such lenses allow me to place myself in a subjectively safe position relative to human subjects. Not to mention distance makes great bokeh. (The mentality of a coward archer...)

10-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have never been particularly shy about photographing in public, except when it comes to pointing my camera at people. When they look at me I feel like I've been caught stealing cookies.
10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I had the same issue when I first moved up to a dslr from a compact. Making it worse was the fact that I was travelling in a rather poor area of India at the time. So I was especially conscious of not only carrying a large camera, but one which had a value greater than the total life income of most ppl I was shooting.

After shooting in a variety of circumstances and situations it improved greatly. Its really a mental thing and I think it goes away with practice, I no longer worry what others are thinking or looking at when im out shooting. Feels normal now.

It gets better
10-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Forum Member

Same story as above.

After getting my DSLR, pulling it out in public places made me feel like I was drawing a lot of attention to myself. Yeah, when people see someone holding a big white camera, they're going to look, but when it boils down to what matters, who cares? You're there to take photos, they're there to walk around. It took me a while to get over this initial fear, but I try and remind myself that those people that walk by or look at you wont care in 2 minutes that they saw you. The American populous has a very short attention span.

One thing I found that helps getting over the initial anxiety is getting out there and doing it. After a while it becomes more natural and you wont even think about it.
10-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

In the beginning it helped me to go someplace where there was a fair amount of photography going on already. I didn't feel so awkward when there were a bunch of other ppl doing the same thing I was. Zoos, Botanical Gardens, State Parks and tourist sights are good places to go to shoot.

NaCl(you are not alone, many of us have had the same problem)H2O

10-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

fekish...You should not reproach yourself for feeling this way, it's perfectly natural.

What you need to come to terms with is the feeling of being conspicuous when toting a camera. You are bound to attract some attention. People will become suspicious or even frightened/scared if they don't know what you're up to. This is now more evident when photographing in some sensitive public places.

Perhaps there are two ways of approaching this problem. Firstly, try to blend-in and be as inconspicuous as possible by using a smaller camera and 'act the amateur'. Thus, most onlookers will regard you as being totally harmless and ignore you. OR, act the Pro, pretend to know what you are doing, and swagger around as if you are in total control of the situation, ie, keep everyone in awe of what's going on. But the latter needs a lot of confidence as any Pro will tell you.
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the same problem. I'm very shy when I'm taking photos in public places. I don't take my time to take the perfect photo... and get very disappointed of myself after.
10-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I elbow my way through crowds, and stand in front of people to block their view. Well, that's after I give them 5 seconds to push the damn shutter already...
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I elbow my way through crowds, and stand in front of people to block their view. Well, that's after I give them 5 seconds to push the damn shutter already...
+1
10-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #13

Definately something I need to cultivate. Not the most outgoing person and not comfortable around crowds, but like anything you deem worth doing: it gets easier the more you do it. Gonna keep sticking my neck out.
10-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
I wished there was a Pentax group in my country! I think being in groups would've helped us on the "shy" issue...

10-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I live in a tourist town. If you don't have a camera, people look at you funny.