Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Trying to take portraits at dusk or in heavy shade....

I was trying to take some portraits of my boys a few evenings ago. It was around 6pm and quite heavy shade. The pictures really did not turn out well at all. I have a new K7 and I am still learning it a bit (my former camera was the *istDS). I tried some more experiments tonight, but they weren't much better.

On "green" mode, it upped the ISO to 3200, and while the brightness was okay, I did not like the graininess of the pictures. (I do have the camera set on the highest resolution.) I have since read the manual to find out how to prevent it going to ISO 3200.

If I used the flash, I had a nice fast shutter speed and the subject was well lit (sometimes even over lit) however the background was nearly black. If I do not use the flash (and the ISO is high enough) then the light looks good across the picture. However, then the shutter speed is so slow that it turns out blurry, due to my subject moving and of course me holding the camera.

Is there some sort of manual compensation I can use to use a low ISO and fast shutter speed without turning the background black?

I am feeling quite frustrated! I've used it mainly indoors and in bright sunlight prior to this and I've been very pleased with all the pictures.

Thanks so much!

10-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Kind of the same issue. Low light situations make the shutter speed skyrocket to around 1/3 which is way too high to use without a tripod (using K-X btw. not K7). I'm confused as to how I'm seeing these concert shots where there seems to be almost no light, no flash, and ISO no greater than 800.
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If using the flash, you could slow your shutter speed down, and that will allow more ambient light into the camera, and that should help with the background being not so black. You will need to adjust your aperture to your flash power, and shutter speed for ambient light. When I use my flash (not that often), I set the flash on manual, and shoot the camera manually also. A tripod would also help out.
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
If using the flash, you could slow your shutter speed down, and that will allow more ambient light into the camera, and that should help with the background being not so black.
Yes, then if you happen to have lightroom. you could post process to lighten up the background. the pics would then be a bit more "natural"

10-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yup, drag the shutter is what you want to do. http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/3-dragging-the-shutter/
10-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some advice. Let me suggest some different advice.

1- At dusk, a large aperture lens (low f) is really helpful, like a f1.4. This type of lens (eg 50mm f1.4) is sometimes called a fast prime lens.

If you do not intend to invest in a fast prime (and that would be a great pity), you may need to consider some in-camera PP or on-computer PP.

2- In relation to High ISO with the K-7, you should read a number a relevant threads that are very pertinents:
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/117808-k7-iso-2500...ml#post1217017
- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/118983-k7-noise-re...ml#post1229574

There are several options/technique to have some nice high ISO shots with the K-7. Either using the in-camera High ISO correction option, or doing some post-processing in computer afterwards.

10-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrmp3 Quote
I'm confused as to how I'm seeing these concert shots where there seems to be almost no light, no flash, and ISO no greater than 800.
Faster lenses. Bigger aperture = faster shutter speed.