Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The GoldPhoto YH430 ball head mentioned above came in today. In general this is very similar to the (discontinued) Manfrotto 486RC2, so much so that the same quick release plates should work for both. After trying this out briefly I can say that it is seems worth its price (US$ 34,50 + 24 for recorded delivery). The construction, all metal except the ball (some sort of hard plastic, apparently) is quite convincing for strength, it should easily carry the rated 6 kg. The QR plate is a precise fit, and a replacement/clone from yet another manufacturer fits fine. I'd say the locking lever is slightly rough in operation, not that this would matter in practice, it just doesn't have the precise quality feel to it I'd expect from the original. It remains to be seen how well this holds up though, but so far I'm happy with it.

10-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for the follow up Jolepp

Just as an update, I ended up buying a lens off a really shady guy last night but it seems to be a solid lens!

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super (AFlens)
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super (AFlens) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

I got it for only $50! Which I:m really excited about as now it seems I will be able to take the Macro shots that Ive been missing out on. Also it gives me FAR greater range so I dont have to crop my photos.

I am still having the same problems with blurryness and "shake". No matter SR on or off... I:m not sure its its the lens or my hand.... sometimes I can get a clear shot but 60% of the time if I crop or zoom or enlarge at all I see the shake.

Sorry for not posting pictures sooner, I will do it asap. I work 3 jobs right now and time is short. When I am not at work or taking photo:s inbetween work and home I usually am talking with my finacee who lives in Russia (NOT MAIL ORDER BRIDE, we met in Japan and have spent a long time together)

Anyways, I still am sure that I need a tripod, but I:m a little confused. Did you buy a different head then the one that came with your tripod?

Lastly, when I post the pictures how do I post them with all the information?

P.S. I will be without my camera for a few weeks.... it had some dust or something on the mirror or somewhere and it was distracting me from the view finder (but wasn:t in shots). I took it to a BIC Camera (Nationwide Electronics store in Japan... HUGE inventory of camera's and lenses all at TOP dollar) I asked if they could look at it. I turn around to look at lenses and when I turn back he:s sticking his finger inside thebody of the camera and touching the mirror to try to lift it. He also rubbed a brush on it to try to clear the dust. SOOOOOO now I gotta get the camera serviced which luckily they are doing for me

Last edited by Ehlacore; 10-21-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: edit*
10-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote
P.S. I will be without my camera for a few weeks.... it had some dust or something on the mirror or somewhere and it was distracting me from the view finder (but wasn:t in shots). I took it to a BIC Camera (Nationwide Electronics store in Japan... HUGE inventory of camera's and lenses all at TOP dollar) I asked if they could look at it. I turn around to look at lenses and when I turn back he:s sticking his finger inside thebody of the camera and touching the mirror to try to lift it. He also rubbed a brush on it to try to clear the dust. SOOOOOO now I gotta get the camera serviced which luckily they are doing for me
Ummm... What did you expect him to do, click his heels 3 times and wish it away?
10-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Ummm... What did you expect him to do, click his heels 3 times and wish it away?
LOL... well I read in a DSLR tutorial that your never supposed to touch any of those parts. I should use only air and that "if your not a professional you shouldn't touch those things"

also after he gave me the camera back it was far worse... it has smudges on the mirror and a hair from the brush that no one can seem to get out with air.

10-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote
Thanks for the follow up Jolepp
Which I:m really excited about as now it seems I will be able to take the Macro shots that Ive been missing out on. Also it gives me FAR greater range so I dont have to crop my photos.
Yes, the macro feature of this quite interesting as the working distance (~ 1m) is much longer than usual. With this, you have the means to explore a very interesting (IMHO) field of photography, and probably also one more reason for getting a sturdy tripod.
QuoteQuote:
I am still having the same problems with blurryness and "shake". No matter SR on or off... I:m not sure its its the lens or my hand.... sometimes I can get a clear shot but 60% of the time if I crop or zoom or enlarge at all I see the shake.
It would be worthwhile to try a number of test shots from the edge of a table or some similar stable support as suggested earlier to rule out a problem with the camera/lens. These with the 2s delay or remote if you have that already. Also, with the Sigma's longer focal length this is likely to be more pronounced. As a rule of thumb one would need 1/<focal length mm> s or faster shutter time for a decent change to beat shake handheld (SR should help some).

QuoteQuote:
Anyways, I still am sure that I need a tripod, but I:m a little confused. Did you buy a different head then the one that came with your tripod?
Not really, this came without a head, "legs only". There are many head options and this way you can mix and match, although tripod+head sets are also common.

QuoteQuote:
Lastly, when I post the pictures how do I post them with all the information?
The camera should put the exif information into the .jpg (or raw) files (there could be an option in the menus for this). You'll have to watch out that it stays there if you process/edit the pictures on the computer. Most programs used for this purpose include the exif data in the resulting files, though.

QuoteQuote:
P.S. I will be without my camera for a few weeks.... it had some dust or
Well, it looks like you'll get the camera serviced and have some extra time for research and Ebay watching while waiting :-)
10-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

A further thought on possible cause(s) of blurred pictures: be sure to allow enough time for the camera to focus (and the SR to kick in), that is, wait shutter button half-pressed until the focus (and SR) indicator(s) appear (in the viewfinder) before pushing it all the way for actual exposure. You might have figured out as much yourself, but then again the SR delay, at least, might be something you might not have expected. Other than that, for shutter speed with handheld shooting there is the 1/<focal lenght> rule, and a general limit of about 1/30 s for any focal length (SR significantly increases the odds of getting a usable shot above the aforementioned rough limits).
10-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks alot jolepp!

I have a busy weekend but sunday I hope to get some pictures up here (the good and the bad)