Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

which lens

New to photography and was looking at buying a 2nd hand smc pentax-m 50mm lense for portraits or would my 18-55 kit lens provide descent results

any help would be great cheers Kev

10-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're new to photography then I'd personally suggest using the kit lens for the time being. The SMC-M is a classic lens but on its own it won't straight away improve your portraits; if anything the contrary because you'll need to learn such things as stop down metering and manual focusing on top of everything else.
10-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevins Quote
New to photography and was looking at buying a 2nd hand smc pentax-m 50mm lense for portraits or would my 18-55 kit lens provide descent results
I don't think there's any comparison that you'll come to love the Pentax-M 50 and the results will be superior to the kit lens, but if you really want to appreciate using primes, and for a comparable price, get yourself a used Super Takumar or Super Multicoated Takumar 50 1.4 ($75 to $100, and less if you get lucky on eBay).

Not only does this lens hold every penny at resale (like the M), it's also superb and will open up the world of manual photography to you.