Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing on k-x - settings

Hello,

there is a part on my k-x which i am never sure what to select. These are the Focus settings: Either the Auto 5 AF, 11 AF, Spot or AF.A AF.S etc...

What would you recommend?

Also only once until when the focusing was going on, a small square appeared on the screen indicating to me i suppose where i was focusing. Are there any settings for this to come up?

Thanks

10-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Hi fekish. As the K x AF is very slow if you use LV, and it does not actually show where the focus points are, if you use 5 or 11 AF, I use only spot focus (and AF.S in modes other than Auto). I then focus on the centre of object I want in focus, keep the shutter release button half pressed to keep that focus, recompose my shot and take the shot. This is one of the cons of the Kx, not being sure where the camera focus when in 5/11 AF. I have not had any major focus problems since I started doing it this way. It is also a bit of trail and error, to get the best out of the Kx in your own circumstance
10-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fekish: I use the select focus point. I tend not to use the 5 or 11 AF. The lcd on the back of the Kx has a display that shows you which point is selected. The screen in the viewfinder has no lcd's that will tell you which point is selected in any mode. I generally use the center point which is in between the ( ) in your viewfinder. I then proceed as altopiet described above.

Note, this only works in AF -S (and mostly with AF-A). In AF-C, recomposing will cause the camera to refocus as the center point (or any point selected) is moved from the subject to the background. I usually keep my camera in AF-A. When focusing on close objects, I do notice that the AF will adjust with recomposition. For general shooting distance, it acts more like AF-S.
10-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AF-S will focus once, then stay focused at that distance regardless of where you point the camera after that.

AF-C is continuous focus when you move the camera around. It might be useful for birds or planes, but if someone puts their hand up, the camera may focus on that instead...

The majority of people say they use the center focus spot then recompose to frame the image as necessary. So, the focus indicator spot is mostly not needed in that case, and you'd probably want to use AF-S.

10-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

AF-S is not an option in "AUTO", AF Point Spot is. AF-S is only an option in other modes. I've tried it in various situations, landscape, portrait, small low flying planes, moving cars, with kit lenses, and as i said no major problems so far

Last edited by altopiet; 10-20-2010 at 09:44 AM.