Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #1

Off camera flash

I need some advice on purchasing a off camera flash for a project I am doing. I have a K-x and was hoping to find something cheap and simple that I could run to the hotshoe with a cord (never bought anything like this so I am fairly lost)

I was just handed this project so I have not had time to read my manual or online about different types flashes (So I apologize if my description sounds off according to specifics of the camera). The different types of off camera flash technologies was briefly discussed in class, but the limits of accessible equipment is making this a clusterf**k.

Just looking for something cheap and simple and I would appreciate any advice. The project requires a off camera flash which you can change light intensity for fill flash and balance techniques.

10-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have an old Pentax AF200T bought (for 15GBP) for just that purpose, and have just bought a couple of cheap radio triggers to go with it. The flash has full, half quarter & eighth settings which makes it particularly useful. Note that the AF200S is much more common but does not have the power settings. I use it in manual mode & play with the power and aperture settings to get what I want. The triggers cost less than a cable & are much more flexible, and can be fixed atop a normal tripod.

It sounds like you´re after a similar setup.
10-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Jonathan.
Yes I was looking for something simple like you explained and either a hotshoe flash with a dial or using the properties of artificial light breaking to adjust my flash.

Would you happen to have a link of a "trigger"?
10-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #4

I am also currently looking for a flash for my K-x. If you can go fully manaul look at YN-460 or YN-560 flashes. You can buy a radio trigger from ebay like yonguno RF602 etc., to fire the flash.
You can read about flash and usage better in strobist.com. Also there is a flickr group which you can search.

Hope this helps.
Krishna

10-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!!
Can I use something like this>>
Amazon.com: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more
If I am going fully manual?
I looked at the YN's on Ebay but I don't have time for Chinese take out
10-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I spent about $50 for this setup (camera not included):