Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #16
JGB
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm a bit confused, I thought sharpness, and fine sharpness are different choices of how it sharpens, so you would suggest going to fine sharpness as my choice, and then turning it down?

How far can I turn it down before it is actually blurring the image, or would turning it to -4 simply be the least amount of extra sharpening?

Is bright a choice of settings as natural is, or a setting under natural?

What about all the other adjustments under Natural?
I'm starting to consistently get shots I am happier with, thank you for all your help
Also on JPEG, would you use 3 or 4 stars of quality, and 10 or 14 mp? does it make a large difference?? I find in PS reducing 50% in size reduces the file size by more like 75%
I'm sorry for being so clueless, I'm having trouble finding good information, before I didn't worry about it, just shot max quality, highest mp, because space didn't matter.

I haven't messed with this picture at all, and apologizes for getting off track, there is so much confusing me right now!

Attached Images

Last edited by JGB; 11-11-2010 at 03:07 AM.
11-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
JGB
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Your Optio probably did a lot of smoothing and noise reduction behind the scenes, at the expense of detail You will see a lot less grain / artefacts if you process RAW. If you have to use JPEG only, make sure the shadow correction is off, because that can increase shadow noise!

Remember when you are viewing images at 100% that a print at that size would be 4.6 x 3.1m - about the size of a parking space. You aren't going to see this on an A3 or A2 print
This confused me a bit, my image at full size in PS comes out to 10"x15" at 300DPI, that's not a parking space unless my conversion to CM has got really wonky these days.

I was shooting 10mp, not 14, but even that difference is still only a decent sized poster.
11-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photo. I am not totally clear on fine sharpening versus regular sharpening setting on the jpegs. I think fine sharpening adjusts the sharpening of edges of objects, while regular sharpening sharpens everything indiscriminately. Not sure which would add more noise. Just remember that the sharpening does not add extra detail to your photo, it just emphasizes detail that is already there. You can achieve better results with unsharp mask in photoshop.

As to size of jpeg, it really doesn't matter and really depends on what you are doing with your photo. If you are printing big, then the highest setting is probably beneficial. To print at 4 by 6 or, to post to the web, 2 megapixels would probably be adequate. You can print 10 megapixels pretty big, as long as you don't look too close (remember viewing difference makes a big difference as to how prints look).

As to the difference between bright and natural, I think bright bumps up saturation and sharpness, while natural doesn't as much. I just really feel that it is best to add those things after the fact, rather doing it in camera.

Nice photo, by the way.
11-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
JGB
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see, so I could turn it to down all the way to -4 and it would be closer to the raw file, just as unsharpened as possible? Or would -2 be sufficient?
10mp at 300DPI only gives me 15" on the long edge I think.
I could use PS to enlarge by 25-30% but still.
Thanks! I was trying to figure out if there was somewhere here I could post a thread with the photo's about the trip

11-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Post your photos under the "post your photos" link on the forum main page. I think -2 would be adequate. Really just want as neutral a file as possible before you start working on it.