Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Using a SMCP-A 50mm f/2.0

This Is my first lens aside from the kit lens, its that Pentax SMCP-A 50mm f/2.0 Lens and the first time I connected It I had to pick a mm

so I picked 50mm

and now well...I have to have the top ring all the way to the left AL( the L Is reversed) and well theres no zoom thats fine, but If I try to move that top ring the cam stays black and wont work at all till I move It back.

Is this how this lens works? did I do something wrong?

10-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is a prime lens (a single focal length), so it will not zoom.

You should put the aperture ring on "A", so the camera can control it. If the aperture ring is not on the "A", you will likely have to shoot in M mode and adjust the settings yourself.
10-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It is a prime lens (a single focal length), so it will not zoom.

You should put the aperture ring on "A", so the camera can control it. If the aperture ring is not on the "A", you will likely have to shoot in M mode and adjust the settings yourself.
It's worth noting also that there is a button on the aperture ring that need to be pressed in order to put the lens into A mode.

To the OP, Once you learn to use this lens, you'll be a manual focus prime addict

10-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Leave the aperture ring on A at all times, and you'll be kosher. Simply focus manually and then shoot just like you would with a DA lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah I really wanted to force myself Into learning manually well, I dident expect It to zoom so thats no big deal. But I just thought It was weird the cam would pretty much black out when I moved that top ring
10-20-2010, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Another quickie: You've hopefully read the sticky atop this section about using manual lenses on your dSLR. As long as you have the aperture ring (the one with A-22-16-11-8-etc) set to A, you can shoot in Av mode and let the camera control the aperture, or you can control the aperture from the camera. If you want to use that lens, or any non-A-type manual lens, where you set the aperture on the lens, you need to go to the last Custom Menu setting on your camera and change it to PERMITTED. Now the camera won't black out. Unless the batteries die, of course.
10-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

By "black out" do you mean the numbers in the LCD were no longer there and you were left with F-- blinking?
Like someone mentioned, you can lock it into the A position after depressing the tiny button just left of A on the aperture ring. Then after you read the manual a bit you can decide what priorities you want the camera to select: shutter speed, aperture, light sensitivity. Or simply leave it in Green or P mode and the camera will make most of the decisions for you.
These cameras are fun!

10-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
well i bought it used....so no book,.....
10-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

You can download manuals directly from Pentax.

10-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Download of the manual should be important if you do not have a physical copy. Can anyone suggest something available on, say Amazon like the cheater books for these cameras that would be the next best thing and still give some details of operations? These books give shortcuts to
camera operations and nifty tricks and pop up for sale on The Forum from time to time.
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #11

cool this lens lookes nice
10-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Can anyone suggest something available on, say Amazon like the cheater books for these cameras that would be the next best thing and still give some details of operations?
The Magic Lantern series of cameras manuals are are generally a little better than the original version. The black-and-white examples of color balance are amusing, though.
10-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
also, when its not set to A or whatever, u cannot take a photo what so ever....
10-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
also, when its not set to A or whatever, u cannot take a photo what so ever....
Custom Menu, Using Aperture Ring, Permitted.

You really should download a manual. It would save you a lot of frustration. They are even indexed so all you have to do is click the page number you want to go to.

10-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The Magic Lantern series of cameras manuals are are generally a little better than the original version. The black-and-white examples of color balance are amusing, though.
Yes. The Magic Lantern series. hate, if you choose not to download a Pentax user manual, you could do a little searching and perhaps get a Magic Lantern user manual for your model camera. We are sure you would not regret it and it will bring life to your camera and your photography experience.