Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Future Pentaxian, k-r or k-x? Sports

Hi, As I said am new to pentax and DSRL, i've been doing some research, and so far think I like Pentax more over some more popular brands. Unfortunatedly there is no Pentax retail store around here, so no way to really seeing it.
I want to be able to sometimes shoot some martial arts events and some outdoor horseback ridding, as well as to keep up with my kids 6 and 4 yrs. I plan on mostly take pictures of them and possible some landscapes.
So finally here are the questions:
1. How faster is the AF on the k-r than the k-x?
2. Which do you think will be better suited for my needs?
3. Right now there are pretty good deals for the k-x but would be willing to spend the xtra $$ for the k-r if that is a better match.
Thanks for your help

10-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marubex Quote
Hi, As I said am new to pentax and DSRL, i've been doing some research, and so far think I like Pentax more over some more popular brands. Unfortunatedly there is no Pentax retail store around here, so no way to really seeing it.
I want to be able to sometimes shoot some martial arts events and some outdoor horseback ridding, as well as to keep up with my kids 6 and 4 yrs. I plan on mostly take pictures of them and possible some landscapes.
So finally here are the questions:
1. How faster is the AF on the k-r than the k-x?
2. Which do you think will be better suited for my needs?
3. Right now there are pretty good deals for the k-x but would be willing to spend the xtra $$ for the k-r if that is a better match.
Thanks for your help
The Kr AF system is a big leap better than the Kx. I find the Kx system to be good at best and that is with a good light source and terrible in low light conditions.

With 6fps vs 4.7fps the Kr will be much better for sports.

That said, I personally do not think that almost 2x the price of the Kx is worth it for the Kr. You can buy a brand new Kx with the 18-55 for $480 while the Kr with the 18-55 is $900.

I would buy a brand new Kx and with the $ saved from not buying the Kr buy a nice lens.