Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
A free option is to find/get a white (clear/almost see through) film canister, ....
Like this?

10-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Like this?
Got any examples of using this? I've ordered the cheap diffuser from eBay so if it turns out to do nothing I'll start the hunt for a film canister!
10-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Forum Member

I'm taking a crack at the ping pong ball here in a minute. I'll post some pics of how that turns out.
10-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Like this?
Exactly what I did and it works good, definitely not a professional set up but its FREE.

10-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
Forum Member

So the ping pong ball works great if you're about a foot to two feet away from your subject, otherwise the pop up flash isn't powerful enough. Also kinda turned the flash a weird yellow..

Not very flattering self portraits. Ignore my ugly self and focus on the lighting.

With ping pong..

Without

Taken on my Zenitar 16mm fisheye. I was screwing with the exposure so much I forgot which these ones were taken at.
10-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the one like SOldBear does. Here's a photo from that outfit.

10-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Make sure the ping pong ball is white, not the orange or yellow variety. Also, experiment with the strength of flash level to get optimum results....and of course tweak white balance as needed.

Jason

10-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I modified my canister. I took some lens tissue, and taped it to the front portion of the canister, then took some black electricians tape and taped the back half of the canister to avoid flash back.
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one and it works quite well. I use it primarily for fill flash and in that application it performs excellently. As a previous poster has mentioned, it definitely cuts down on flash power, so you have to boost the flash ev when using it and the flash as primary light source. I got mine quite a while ago and at that time only the white diffuser was available, don't know how well the other colors would work.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
05-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I am in need of a quickie diffuser, tonight for my son's Prom pics. (sun isn't cooperating today) Thank you SO much for the film canister tip....I'm using it this evening!! I think it will serve my purpose. I'm also looking for an external flash.....off to read some more.
05-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
black electricians tape and taped the back half of the canister to avoid flash back.
I've done similar (black-gaffa-tape) and works a treat for fil-flash-in-a-rush...
05-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
but I can't say I've bought film any time in the last 10 years
My local camera shop gave me a half dozon empty ones when I asked nicely...
05-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
Got any examples of using this? I've ordered the cheap diffuser from eBay so if it turns out to do nothing I'll start the hunt for a film canister!
Probably cheaper to buy some cheapo Fujicolor (or ask at a local shp that still has a minilab) than have me send you one, but I recently dug up a few more here.

Someone else here had a clever little design, too, (Sorry, someone else! I can't recall! ) involving a flat sheet of plastic with a matte surface: he used disposable cutting board material, but I find the same stuff in some fish packaging now and again: the idea is you cut a tab to fit in your flash shoe, then cut the rest so you can bend it around and have it tuck into the popup flash's nest. You get basically the same thing as the film can, only it can be bigger and it stores flat.
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

myself I just gave up on the pop up flash with a diffuser and used an hotshoe flash (mine is the sigma dg500 super)... read this article on the "black foamy thing" and the results are almost as good as my lightbox
a lot faster then setting a softbox up that is for sure

here is the link (lot of other good stuff as well)

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2009/12/07/soft-window-light/

hope this helps
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not sure why this thread has resurfaced but I actually bought a Metz 48 about 6 months ago. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

All these diffuser suggestions do a good job of masking the harshness of the popup flash, but a properly diffused bounced flash is in a whole other league. I'm absolutely loving the results. If you can afford an external flash, do it. You won't regret it.