Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dirt cheap diffuser

Hi all,

I'm planning to get myself a good quality external flash in a few months but in the meantime I'm looking to make the most of the built-in flash on the K7.

I've had a crack at all sorts of home-made solutions with varying levels of success (the 45 degree business card worked the best indoors). But it would be nice to have some kind of simple diffuser that would stay on when I'm outside in the wind.

I've found this on eBay:

3-1-Puff-Pop-up-Flash-Diffuser-Fr-Pentax-K-7-K-X-K-m

Has anyone had any experience with these? It's only a few dollars so I'll probably just give it a crack regardless unless someone has used one and found it does absolutely nothing.

10-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do not have personal experience with these but have heard they are pretty good and for the $ you cannot go wrong.

A free option is to find/get a white (clear/almost see through) film canister, cut out a rectangle (measure the pop-up flash for the exact dimensions) and put the canister over the flash. This is what I do with my flash and it works really well.
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've heard of people using those. I've heard they work well. Never used one myself, like KxBlaze.

To diffuse light WELL, the best way is to make the light source bigger. You can shoot through a diffusion material like this device, but the best way is to bounce it off a wall or ceiling (short of using a softbox).

Cost: free.

Or if you're outside, use the sun. A few white foamcore boards to bounce light up from the sun to the subject work extremely well. Black foamcore works well to reduce light.
10-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys.

The old film canister trick sounds more wind friendly than my attempts but I can't say I've bought film any time in the last 10 years... So I might give this cheap diffuser a crack.

10-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Another cheap trick:

Use the thinnest infant's sock you can find. Or a translucent condom.
10-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Another cheap trick:

Would the one with ribs give you an uneven illumination?. Or could it be used for creative lighting effects?.
10-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Another cheap trick:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Would the one with ribs give you an uneven illumination?. Or could it be used for creative lighting effects?.
Hmmm, I haven't kept up with condom technology lately. How about translucent models with faces? Back in the day, were Dick Nixon rubbers... but they were opaque.
10-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have one of these, it works well but it really decreases the flash's power, which is already not very much, so it is very limited in use.
I don't have any use for the different colors either.

10-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Not sure about the uneven lighting, but if there are two flashes involved, it may trigger the other one more reliably.
10-24-2010, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

several tricks to consider....you can cut a ping-pong ball to fit over the pop-up flash like a "Smelfin" type, you can cover the flash with a coffee filter, you can cut out a bounce from card stock and covered in smooth tin foil and attached at a 45 degree angle (FinnBounce), rolling paper over flash, etc...never used a condom though.

The FinnBounce and the Smelfen
The DIY FinnBounce

Jason
10-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I forgot to add "".
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Take one pair Sheer Energy white hose and one rubber band. Cut toe off one leg of hose and secure over the flash with the rubber band. Instant diffuser.

Warning for the guys: Do not use your wife's new pair of of white hose. She will not be any happier with you than my wife was with me.

CW
10-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Stiv Quote
Hi all,

I'm planning to get myself a good quality external flash in a few months but in the meantime I'm looking to make the most of the built-in flash on the K7.

I've had a crack at all sorts of home-made solutions with varying levels of success (the 45 degree business card worked the best indoors). But it would be nice to have some kind of simple diffuser that would stay on when I'm outside in the wind.

I've found this on eBay:

3-1-Puff-Pop-up-Flash-Diffuser-Fr-Pentax-K-7-K-X-K-m

Has anyone had any experience with these? It's only a few dollars so I'll probably just give it a crack regardless unless someone has used one and found it does absolutely nothing.

I got one JUST like this from Ebay, except without the blue and orange filters. I got it just because i was to take some photos of the family this coming thanksgiving and christmas and i dont have a regular flash and/or a diffuser/deflector. It makes the flash marginally softer, enough that i can use the pop-up flash for family photos in darker rooms.
10-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ah, I made a cardboard thing with foil on it just like the finbounce. Works pretty well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
I got one JUST like this from Ebay, except without the blue and orange filters. I got it just because i was to take some photos of the family this coming thanksgiving and christmas and i dont have a regular flash and/or a diffuser/deflector. It makes the flash marginally softer, enough that i can use the pop-up flash for family photos in darker rooms.
Have any samples?
10-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Ah, I made a cardboard thing with foil on it just like the finbounce. Works pretty well.

Have any samples?

Well, i just read this message at 2:30 AM i will try to get some samples tomorrow....... i mean today >_> after i get some sleep.