Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You already received some good advice, and that is what this forum is about. I just may add a comment on the thread title: Inexpensive lenses to try Manual Focus ??

Not all MF lenses are inexpensive and there are some excellent, high-quality and more expensive MF lenses. That is, the Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses are very-highly regarded by the Pentaxian community, with an excellent image quality (IQ), and both series are MF. I cannot comment much on the Zeiss lenses (I do not have one and there are few discussions). But there are several threads and discussions in this forum about the Voigtlander lenses. All are very positive.

These high-quality MF lenses might not be in your budget, for now, but you might consider for future investment. When I was looking for a 50mm lens, I received some excellent advice through this forum that led me to the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. The price was relatively reasonable at the time, and I never regret my decision. This is possibly my best lens investment too date.

Food for thoughts....
Thanks for your thoughts. In fact, this is what started me thinking about Pentax: a search for the Voigtlander 75 SL on eBay revealed none (none reasonably priced, anyway) in F-mount, but there was one in K-mount. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on MF lenses until I feel comfortable that I can get a good keeper rate with the K-7 VF. On the D3, I use the stock focus screen and have my focus confirmation points turned off constitutively. If I can't learn to do that with the K-7, I'll be left deciding whether I should stick with AF lenses, or maybe try a KatsEye screen (not thrilled so far in my limited experience with split prism screens, but maybe I could grow to like them).

I love CV lenses! I recently bought the CV 58 Nokton and it is a bargain. Sooo nice to use. I also shoot with a Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar on my D3. It's the best lens I have ever owned, and I will buying more Zeiss glass in the future. Now I will have to decide whether to pick up the 21 in K-mount or the 35/2 in F-mount. Or something.

EDIT: I also bought the CV 90/3.5, which is very nice, but not nice enough for me to keep, since I have 3 other lenses in that focal length range, so it's being eBayed to finance my Pentax DA 70/2.4. Here's a shot from my CV90 (hope it's OK to post a non-Pentax photo in here!):

10-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
BTW ... I think the manuals for current models are available online as .PDFs. I did read mine while the k-x was in transit :-)
Great idea. Just downloaded.
10-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I find shooting my Super Taks in Tv mode more convenient than pushing that green button when outdoors in good light. You can keep the lens on manual then.
Now you've confused me. When I put an M42 SuperTak or any other non-A lens on my K20D, the cam goes to Av mode unless I shift to M or B -- no Tv mode available. And since M42 's lack the K-type aperture linkage, the Green button can't stop them down for exposures. Did I miss something?
10-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Now you've confused me. When I put an M42 SuperTak or any other non-A lens on my K20D, the cam goes to Av mode unless I shift to M or B -- no Tv mode available. And since M42 's lack the K-type aperture linkage, the Green button can't stop them down for exposures. Did I miss something?
I'm confused about that, too.

10-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't have any SuperTaks, but it should be equivalent to not having any lens mounted at all, right? So I just removed lens from my K10D and in Tv behaves exactly the same way as P, Sv, Av and TAv. In fact, they are all equivalent to Av mode.

So you are both right in a way, it appears that tuco thinks there is something special about Tv mode, but it is in fact the same as Av mode with SuperTaks. So P, Sv, Av, Tv or TAv with Takumars is the same thing, so you are talking about the same behavior here just calling it different names... er... modes :-)
10-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I very much like the flower photo, the color combination is very pleasing (a CPL for that deep sky blue background, perhaps?).

[ I suppose I should add a pro-forma "it must take extraordinary skill to do this with sub-standard equipment" here ;-) ]
10-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
[ I suppose I should add a pro-forma "it must take extraordinary skill to do this with sub-standard equipment" here ;-) ]
Bahah!

Since I was unsure if I would keep the lens, I never invested in a CPL. Actually, I very rarely use one, just because it's a pain, and I'm mostly a portrait shooter who tends to scout the neutral backgrounds. The only CPL I have is the 58mm, for my CV58.

10-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use the screw mount Takumars in AV mode. Now, you will more than likely have to adjust exposure compensation to get correct exposure, but once you learn it, you'll be good to go. And I can't imagine a smoother more quality feeling focus ring than a Takumar.

Here are a few samples from the "cheapest" Takumar. The Super Takumar 55mm F1.8.

10-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those look awesome, Steve!
10-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Those look awesome, Steve!

There's an old saying 'round these parts. "Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while" Thanks Todd, I LOVE me old Takumars...
10-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #56
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
You can use the screw mount Takumars in AV mode. Now, you will more than likely have to adjust exposure compensation to get correct exposure, but once you learn it, you'll be good to go. And I can't imagine a smoother more quality feeling focus ring than a Takumar.
Yep--and the compensation required depends on the particular lens or the body. The K-x is horrible with underexposure on the Taks in Av mode, and depending on the lens, you won't get focus confirmation smaller than F8. (Not a big deal really.)

Todd, I work strictly with M42 Taks in M mode and exposure is spot on--and it's just like working in Av mode. (When you power up the camera each time, you get a menu for focal length, so Shake Reduction is properly set. And because Pentax's SR is in body, you get SR even with 40-year-old lenses!)

I set my ISO manually, set aperture, and hit the Ev button to set the shutter speed. (On the K-x, you don't have to use the green button for that.)

I don't miss multi-segment metering at all because using center-weighted, I just aim at what in the scene I want optimum exposure on, hit the button, reframe, and pull the trigger. In fact, it's like using AE lock in this regard.

You won't get aperture info in your EXIF data, and that's a bit of pain when you get new glass and want to learn the sweet spot, but that's easily fixable by taking some notes.

Check out the Takumar club. We're an eclectic group of folks who refuse to live in the 21st Century when it comes to lenses (also see my signature), and that's because the build quality of these old Taks can't be explained:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club-386.html

It's the longest thread under Lenses, so start with this last page and go backwards.

Here's an example from my M42 50 1.4 Super-Tak--for 50 bucks:

10-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Check out the Takumar club. We're an eclectic group of folks who refuse to live in the 21st Century when it comes to lenses (also see my signature), and that's because the build quality of these old Taks can't be explained:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club-386.html

It's the longest thread under Lenses, so start with this last page and go backwards.

Here's an example from my M42 50 1.4 Super-Tak--for 50 bucks:
Ira

I can't speak for Todd, but you've converted me. I'm going to start looking into Takumar lenses.
10-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #58
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Ira

I can't speak for Todd, but you've converted me. I'm going to start looking into Takumar lenses.
Take your time and be a little conservative on the bidding, because although bargains can still be found, the prices have really been going up because people recognize the quality and the value. My $50 Super-Tak 50 1.4 is now going for $75 on the very low end up to about $125. But the 55 1.8 can be easily found for around $25 (and some say it's sharper than the 1.4). Plenty of bargains out there also for the 28 2.8, 35 3.5, 135 3.5 and 200 4.

In general, the Super-Multi-Coated are more preferred than the straight Supers, but not always the case...you have to grab what's available...and the price differential might not be worth it. By reviewing the Takumar club (also check my albums), you can judge for yourself.

Some of the Taks have gone nuts cost wise, like the 85 1.9. I paid $270 for mine (a Super) and man, that hurt a lot. But in a matter of weeks, $270 was the LOWEST price you could find one for. Check eBay now and you'll see the starting and BIN prices have gotten ridiculous for this lens.

I WAY overpaid for my 35 2, because that particular lens doesn't show up very often and I really wanted it. I paid $240, and although you'll see BINs at that price and higher, and starting prices that are that high, I saw that someone recently won one for like $175.

But I highly recommend the 50 1.4 as your first foray into the Taks. Not only is it the ideal focal length, I just think it's the best all-round lens from this era.
10-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are willing to spend a bit more, try the K 50 1.2 (all manual) or A 50 1.2 (auto-aperture, manual focus) lenses. I would suspect that the K is a nicer old-school feel than the A, but the A takes advantage of all the metering modes.

Lots of aperture blades and bokeh to spare . The K 1.4 is a much better deal I would suppose. I personally love the K 55 1.8, but the bokeh might not be up to your standards (6 blades).

In wide angle land, I can highly recommend the A 28mm 2.8 as a great deal lens. Very sharp.

Name:  _PBA8290.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  55.6 KB
10-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ira,

Thanks for that advice, which I hope to have an opportunity to profit by soon.

JVA