Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for all the help. I thought I saw someone say that you can mount an adapter to a M42 mount lens semi-permanently and then it will work like a K mount. Is that not possible or a bad idea?
With the non-flanged variety of the adapter one could 1) remove the lock spring and 2) then attach the adapter to the lens with some mild adhesive. Removing the lock spring is essential: otherwise the ring will lock on the body as usual, but you can't access it to unlock it from the body, so you have a stuck lens. Without the lock spring the lens won't lock on the body, though, and this could be an accident waiting to happen.

The adapter without the flange has a lock spring because M42 lenses do not have the k-mount locking pin cavity. The point of the flange is having the locking cavity in the flange, but having the flange ruins infinity focus.

(An M42 lens with a semi-permanently attached k-mount adapter still doesn't have the k-mount aperture lever and won't work like a k-mount lens in that department, of course.)

10-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
At the risk of re-starting the Adapter Wars, here's my take: 3 or 4 types of M42-PK adapters exist, with a great range of costs. These are:

. . .

4) I have heard of (but not seen nor tried) an expensive adapter that safely allows aperture automation. I need to look into this further.

. . .
Can you elaborate on this beast? I know of an adapter that has the internal flange to press the pin on A only automatic aperture lenses such as the Mamiya SX series, but haven't seen one that would allow automatic aperture operation on k-mount bodies. That would be the cat's meow.
10-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RioRico

+1 I use many many of #3 with my m42 macro lenses. I own 1 of the Pentax and just bought 3 of the #2 cheap clones.
10-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
At the risk of re-starting the Adapter Wars, here's my take: 3 or 4 types of M42-PK adapters exist, with a great range of costs. These are:

1) The Official Pentax adapter, safe and boring and expensive. I say boring because it's best left in the camera, and you get to spend time (un)screwing lenses. I own one.
2) Cheap clones of (1), often badged as Bower. Cheap and exciting and YOU MUST REMOVE THE SCREW+CLIP OR YOU WILL GO APESH!T! Best left on the lens. I own dozens.
3) Cheap safe flanged no-infinity-focus adapters. Best for closeup and macro gear where you don't care about infinity, and some telephotos that focus past infinity. I own a dozen.
4) I have heard of (but not seen nor tried) an expensive adapter that safely allows aperture automation. I need to look into this further.

NOTE: I own many of types (2) and (3) because as well as being good serviceable adapters (and CHEAP, usually under US$5), they're also handy for modding some non-Pentax-compatible lenses. I only do minor surgery. But I digress.

The type (2) or Bower adapter arouses much controversy here. Unmodified, it is a pain and a disaster. Modified, I have had zero (0) problems with any. I put these on screwmount lenses, and generally leave them there. I use the rear lens cap as a wrench for tightening. I may put a piece of metal tape at the appropriate place under the adapter to enable Catch-In-Focus for that lens. Some of these have been in place so long that I've almost forgotten the lenses aren't K-mount.

The type (3) flanged adapter poses no problems. On a long lens, loss of infinity focus isn't severe. On a 200mm lens, far-focus drops to 100+ yards, no big deal if I'm shooting closer stuff. Some of these adapters are raw steel, some are painted black. I file away a bit of paint at the appropriate place to enable Catch-In-Focus.

* If you only have a few screwmount lenses and you don't intend to interchange their use with K-mount glass on the same day, the type (1) Official Pentax adapter is best.
* If you have MANY screwmount lenses and you wish to use some of them and some K-mounts on the same excursion, the type (2) is great. Ten of them at least.
* If you do any macro/close work with screwmounts, directly or with tubes and/or bellows, or if you have the odd lens that focuses past infinity, the type (3) is wonderful.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Thanks a bunch. Not wanting to sound TOO lazy but is there a photo essay on these somewhere in the forum?

10-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I do not want to hijack the thread but today I picked up several M42 mount lenses from my Father. He did quite a bit of photography in the early 70's and even taught a photography lab at a local university. My dad being in his later 80's and now legally blind he generously offered them to me. They have been stored and cased for the last 30+ years in a air conditioned space and all appear to be as close to mint as possible. At least one appears to be quite desirable lens. His 35mm cameras were all Yashica M42 mount bodies.

These lenses were all purchased in 1971 by my father. The lenses that I received were Yashinon Tomioka 60mm 1:2.8 macro full manual lens. I hear this is a pretty exceptional lens. I also received a Yashinon DS 50mm 1:1.7 auto. This lens is a full automatic and no manual switch. I also received a Vivitar Tokina built 28mm 1:2.8 lens that is also full automatic with no manual switch and a Vivitar 135mm Telephoto 1:2.8 also full automatic with no manual switch. Of course I want to play with all of these being they were free and appear to be in great shape. I did a little dissection on one of the Vivitar lenses and figured how to remove a spring in the lens so that the lens become full manual. But if Blue knows of an adapter that has a flange to depress the auto pin that would be my first choice. Does that adapter allow focusing to infinity like the Pentax and clones of the Pentax?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al
10-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #81
Site Supporter

This is the source of the special adapter for A lenses with no M settings. However, it isn't listed on the site anymore and was made to order when it was. It is a bit pricey when I contacted them It had gone up from about $49 USD to about 60. I see the price of their regular ones have gone up as well.

M42 lenses on Pentax K
10-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Todd, you mentioned that you like to do a lot of portraiture so I would recommend any of the Takumar 85s. The 85 1.9 can be found fairly easy and relatively inexpensive. Very nice bokeh! The 85 1.8 is a little more expensive and harder to find but is a tad sharper.
Once you get your hands on a Takumar and see the build quaility and smooth focus you'll fall in love. Very easy use in AV mode also.

10-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #83
Inactive Account

I e-mailed the company that Blue refereed me to regarding the adapter that will accept auto only M42 lenses. I will let everyone know what is up when they get back to me.

Al
10-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Todd, you mentioned that you like to do a lot of portraiture so I would recommend any of the Takumar 85s. The 85 1.9 can be found fairly easy and relatively inexpensive. Very nice bokeh! The 85 1.8 is a little more expensive and harder to find but is a tad sharper.
Once you get your hands on a Takumar and see the build quaility and smooth focus you'll fall in love. Very easy use in AV mode also.
Thanks! That lens definitely looks interesting. I will no doubt be checking out some Taks, but I've decided to do mostly AF while I am acquainting myself with the camera. I do have one A lens (50/1.7) on the way, though.
10-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Thanks! That lens definitely looks interesting. I will no doubt be checking out some Taks, but I've decided to do mostly AF while I am acquainting myself with the camera. I do have one A lens (50/1.7) on the way, though.
The A 50 1.7 is a really nice little lens, you will find it superb for portraits at f2.
10-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The A 50 1.7 is a really nice little lens, you will find it superb for portraits at f2.
Just got it yesterday. Have only done a few test shots with boring objects, but it looks sharp with excellent boke. Hope to point it at a person soon!
10-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #87
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Hope to point it at a person soon!
People are a pain in the ass to work with.

Point it at a raccoon or something.
10-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
People are a pain in the ass to work with.

Point it at a raccoon or something.
LMAO. Raccoons' moms don't pay money for prints.