Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Cameranxiety!

Hello all, am planning to buy a SLR and am going thru the franchise-worthy dilemma of choosing between the K-x & the K-7 (I know i'm not the only!) The K-x packs a lot of features for it's price and the K-7 is weather resistant with a magnesium alloy body.

1)Shud i go for the K-7 to save a later upgrade?

2)What does a good picture depend on (photo quality wise)? The camera or the lens? How noticeable would the difference be between say a pic
clicked with a K-x and one clicked with a K-7?

3)How strong is the K-x/what is it made of? And can i use it safely in the snow?

Cheers.

10-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Raylon

Ignoring questions one and two, I would say go for the K-7 if you are wanting to use it in snow. The Kx is not sealed at all. I think most cameras would work ok in snow, but as soon as that snow melted, it would seep into the body and kill it. Also the temperatures would not be suitable for the Kx I am thinking. But image wise they are pretty equal unless you are wanting to print out gigantic poster sized images, which the K-7 would win. But then again if you need high ISO, Kx wins. Can you afford a k-5? You would get the best of both worlds. Also don't forget what kind of glass you want. You need WR lenses if you are going to be using them in snow.

I probably just have you more undecisive now that you were before.
10-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome.
Q1 is answered well above. Consider the K-5 or K-7 for weather sealing capabilities.
Q2 - the lens has almost all the influence on IQ, since nowadays the difference between modern camera sensors, both entry-level and high end APS-C, is insignificant - and all having enough resolution to show off the brilliance of each lens.

Having said that, though, there's not a wide variety of weather resistant lenses for Pentax dSLRs, but the more expensive DA* lenses are weather sealed and of excellent build and image quality.

If the DA*s are out of your budget, you can consider the kit lenses with the WR designation, so you can feel confident taking your K-7 or K-5 out in the snow with it.
10-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lzel Quote
2)What does a good picture depend on (photo quality wise)? The camera or the lens?
I know you said photo quality wise, but it is again photographer. Understanding metering and exposure, depth of field, lens sharpness, distortions and aberrations, noise characteristics and so on and controlling all those are up to a photographer.

Artistic quality aside, good camera with a good lens couldn't assure technical quality of a photograph taken. Again, photographer must know what to he/she is doing.

How noticeable would the difference be between say a pic
clicked with a K-x and one clicked with a K-7?
No.

All DSLRs produced over the past 5 or so years are extremely capable tools. The differences are mainly outside photographic quality and relate to specific usage scenarios. But under general conditions any DSLR (Pentax or not) is fully capable of producing outstanding quality.

10-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would forgo the K-7 for its inferior high iso performance, but I like focus adjustment. Well, maybe just save up for the K-5.
10-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for your time. What if i use housings for the k-x whilst shooting in snow?
10-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Raylon

Thanks all for your time. What if i use housings for the k-x whilst shooting in snow?
I don't know if they make one specifically for it, but it would be far too large and awkward to use, especially if you are wearing gloves. Not to mention that it's probably going to get dropped and broken. Better off going straight to a K-7 or K-5 in the first place.

10-23-2010, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good advice. Let me provide a different perspective.
- The K-5 and K-r cameras are new and their prices will not drop soon.

- Both the K-7 and K-x are well respected cameras. You will not get wrong with either.

- The K-x is an entry level dSLR.

- The K-7 is a semi-pro dSLR. You are unlikely to reach its full potential very rapidly.

- I would recommend a WR camea body: K-7 or K-5, if you shot in cold conditions, in the snow, rain, dirt.....

- The K-5 and K-7 are very solid bodies to add to the WR.

- In terms of Image quality (IQ), there is little difference between K-x and K-7 with the same lens. Some say that the K-7 might be slightly superior at low ISOs (that represents 85% of all shootings) while the K-x is acnowledge to be superior for ISOs above 1600.

- Invest in "good glass", that is a high quality lenses. A couple of good lenses will make a "hell" of a difference. There has been some thread and discussion on this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119399-more-camera-better-glass.html
and the overwhelming response was: "good glass".

- Lastly go to your local store and try both the K-x and K-7 before deciding. The hand feel is extremely important. The K-x body is smaller than then K-7 body. Although I have small hands, I prefered the K-7 handgrip to that of the K-x. People with large hand might not like either k-7 or K-x, but their compact size is an asset, in my opinion.

Hope that the comment will assist...
10-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
True, the K-7 is built like a tank. And i kinda find the allure of the magnesium alloy body very masculine. But at the same time ISO matters too since i'll be using the camera for a lot of night photography. Shooting in the snow would be very occasional viz. when i go for a holiday/trek.
Also, the k-5 retails at 1600$ on amazon body only which is expensive. So K-x with some external body-armour looks like a safe bet.

Oh yeah, the smaller the better. I want something that'll be easier to move with.

Last edited by Lzel; 10-23-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: .
10-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Raylon

True, the K-7 is built like a tank. And i kinda find the allure of the magnesium alloy body very masculine. But at the same time ISO matters too since i'll be using the camera for a lot of night photography. Shooting in the snow would be very occasional viz. when i go for a holiday/trek.
Also, the k-5 retails at 1600$ on amazon body only which is expensive. So K-x with some external body-armour looks like a safe bet.

Oh yeah, the smaller the better. I want something that'll be easier to move with.
Sounds like Kx would be a winner for you. I would simply not take the Kx into any dangerous situation, like skiing. Also the kx is built pretty solid, just not as solid as the K7/5
10-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
I've been hiking around a sub-Antarctic island all year with my K-x. No problems so far!
10-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #12

Original Poster
K-x it is for me.

Last edited by Lzel; 10-27-2010 at 06:43 AM.