Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

is it the glass or is it the sensor ..

a couple of days back, i posted that my focusing screen is dirty. people advised me to check if i am sure if it is the focusing screen, i did. turned out it was the focusing screen.

now i have a new problem, everytime an image comes out of the camera, it has marks on it. sensor dust alert gives no marks.

This is shot on manual focus, the open sky, to tell you my pain. any ideas ?

Attached Images

10-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it the same pattern with different lenses? That'll tell you if it's the glass.
10-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like sensor dust to me.
10-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Raylon

Definitely sensor dust. Get a rocket blower and get it outta there.

10-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Dust isn't usually visible on photos because it would be outside of the DOF. This looks like sensor dust to me- gogo dust removal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

This may help

10-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
after cleaning, this is what i am left with. a dark spot at the top left (which means the bottom left of the sensor).

i have only gone with rocket blower.

do the expert believe to be polen or something like that which is stuck or is it some droplet?

should i go with the syntetic brush?

Attached Images

10-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I see several spots but only one very offensive one. If it's pollen, a brush isn't likely to remove it but it's worth a try. I suspect you're going to have to do a wet clean on this one.

10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Pakistan and wet clean ... hmmmph ..

seems like my next pay check is going towards importing a sensor cleaning from US

or is there a DIY kit, that you can make from cheap ready made items?

and yes, i have a k-x, and i use it on my farms. dusty dust every where
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There are two usable touch the sensor cleaning options (In my opinion) that work correctly and reliably. The first is a stamp pad such as Pentax's O-ICK1 cleaning kit.

Google

The other is a wet clean. Many threads about this and the net is full of information about it. Here's a source for trying to produce your own kit.

Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

10-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

Keep trying with the rocket blower. I have sometimes had to go through the procedure 3 or 4 times to get the dust off. Be aggressive with the blower, but don't touch anything on the inside.
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is a case where you may want to give the "unrecommended" a shot, canned air.
10-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a few offensive and sticky spots on my sensor, that would not come off with a blower brush or the artic butterfly (static generating brush)

I took some soft tissue paper and without touching the paper wrapped it onto the end of a q-tip.

I then went over the entire sensor with this arrangement and blew off the residule bits from the tissue paper,

That seemed to do the trick.

Note that what ever you do, do not touch anything you are going to use on the sensor with your fingers, or you will have a smear of skin iol that not only could interfere with the image but also attracts dust.

I have never used a compressed air can on my sensor, and you need to be careful not to allow any of the liquid propellant to get on the sensor/filter or it will leave a stain